Tuesday, December 9, 2014

FFVI – Part 39: Enemy at the Gates

Summary: We walk through the abandoned Imperial Observation Post through the puzzle-filled Cave of the Sealed Gate. Despite the name, there are blessedly a grand total of zero Trap Doors. Kefka ambushes us at the gate, but we successfully open it anyway to a flood of angry espers.


Zozo

-New dance learned here: “Love Serenade.” (Weird for a place like Zozo.) Can cast Snare, Apparition (damage plus confuse).

-Unfortunately, it seems that fighting inside a building doesn’t count as a new dance-granting terrain.

---

Imperial Observation Post

-Weird. No guards. Where’d they go? I was really sure I’d have to stealth my way past.

-Much like the empty floors in FFIV:TAY, this is freaking me out.

-There’s a locked door in a basement, and I don’t have a key.

---

Cave of the Sealed Gate

-The esper world music is playing.

-Wish I had more anti-Imp relics, but just have a Ribbon and a White Cape.

-A lava level. Uh oh. Better than water levels, but still. Even in FFI (with Mount Gulg or something, a volcano), I wasn’t a huge fan.

-Hm. There’s some invisible bridge puzzle shenanigans that keeps dropping me into the lava to start over. At least it doesn’t kill me.

-Success!



I just had to watch for the patterns of where the bridges were disappearing and reappearing.

-I like Mog and Gau both, but having them both in my party at the same time is a bit unreliable. I think I’ll swap out Mog with Cyan later.

-Another broken bridge…

-Found a switch farther up for a Genji Glove.

-The monsters here that cast “Lifeshaver” for massive drain are pretty rough.


Lifeshaver.

The Zombie Dragons here though are easy, thanks to Gau’s “Templar” rage which lets him cast Fira.

-More switches. One opens a save point. A second summons a ninja to fight (who tells us about a hoard of treasure hidden here).

-Aw, “Love Serenade” can summon a tapir to do… something?


Mog + tapir = win

I don’t even care what. It’s a tapir!  Gotta tell Erin Lynn Jeffreys Hodges about this ASAP.

-More switch-‘n’-bridge puzzles. One opened up a cave to a sweet treasure trove, which gave me magicite shards and an ULTIMA WEAPON? Back in FFII a party member died in canon trying to get Ultima magic, and it was a major boss monster in FFII:ROS and beyond, but I just find an Ultima sword lying around. Cool.

---

Sealed Gate

-Oh God. We’re here.



Go, Terra, go.

-DAMMIT KEFKA

-Ah fuck. The Empire was relying on us using Terra to open the gate for them.

-lol Kefka still sucks at fighting. We gave him a lovetap and he basically said “ty no ty.”

-Terra goes esper form and opens the door.

-AND HOLY CROW ALL THE ESPERS BUST OUT! They don’t seem happy.

-Terra gets knocked out and Kefka gets blown back.


Blown away on a storm of espers.

-Um. The gate got resealed and barricaded then, but the horses (and whales and unicorns and dragons) are already out of the barn.

-I really thought we would get sucked in and have the next stage in their world. Still possible I guess, but I thought it would happen now. Also surprised that Gestahl himself didn’t show up to get his esper-drainage on in a super saiyan moment.

-Huh.

-We’re heading back to the airship.

-What happened to Kefka anyway?

---

Imperial Observation Post

-Locke meets us here.

-LOLOL HE SAYS THE ANGRY ESPERS FLEW TOWARDS VECTOR

-EAT IT GESTAHL. MAY EVERY PISSED OFF AND PERSECUTED ESPER GIVE YOU A NICE BIG HUG

---

Next time: Helping the espers siege Vector maybe.