Saturday, December 20, 2014

FFVI – Part 49: Rage 3: Return of the Veldt

Summary: Taking care of business before the Floating Continent. The Esper Cave, Jidoor, the southern continent (still under the illusion of peace), and then the Veldt.


The Blackjack

-Interesting. Strago says that the Triad’s set-up in a triangular formation is key. It keeps their power balanced. If someone were to move them, the power imbalance would lead to catastrophe.


Um. Yeah. Let’s stop that.

-This confuses me a bit. Gestahl (and I now think Kefka, too) want to be SuperMagic!Emperors. You can’t be the emperor of a destroyed world, since there would be no empire to rule. So how will they try to get the power or wake the Triad or whatever without destroying the world?

-Anyway. I have some choice now. I can go to the “Floating Continent,” but there’s some other stuff I want to do first.

1) Take Relm to Owzer’s Mansion to see if she interacts with the paintings there.

2) Revisit the Esper Cave to find what I missed.

3) See what the post-peace situation is like in the Empire’s outer towns.

4) Visit the Veldt to play with Strago/Relm/Gau interaction and see if there are new rages for Gau.

---

Esper Cave

-Phew. I can return. I worried the cave would be blocked ro something.

-And I did miss treasure. I get a Chocobo Suit for Strago, which is kind of a hilarious image.


Cosplaying Strago is the best Strago.

-And a Tabby Suit! Hurray for FFVI being furry-friendly.

---

Jidoor

-Before going to Owzer’s, I stop by the Auction House to see what they’re selling. After all, I don’t have to buy anything I don’t want to.

-AND IT’S A TALKING CHOCOBO WTF WTF! A “TALKOBO”

-WANT

CHILD: “Daddy, I want that! I want it now!
DAD: “No, you don’t! Pipe down!”
CHILD: “I want it! I want it! Buy it, Daddy! Please! Pretty please!”

Yeah, the kid’s spoiled, but mostly I’m annoyed at the possibility I might lose this auction.

-I bid 10k gil. Come on. I need this in my life.

-AND THE KID’S DAD BUYS IT FOR 500K GIL WTFFFFDHSFJKLDSH FDJKLSF DJKLS



-So pissed and jealous. Grr. Going to keep an eye out for a relic or something that lets me never be outbid. It’s probably not a thing, but still.

-The next few auctions are for Angel Wings. No thanks.

-No special Relm interaction with the paintings in Owzer’s Mansion. This surprises me. I was so sure that she would talk about how proud she was of them or SOMETHING. Hm. Maybe they are just flavor, to foreshadow Relm.

---

Southern Continent

-Gestahl’s troops have pulled out of Maranda and returned their soldiers home. I guess he really wanted to sell the fake peace.


Hate to break it to you, but…

-Tzen is in rebuilding mode.

-Albrook is really dark. Is the Floating Continent above it?

-Yeah, it is. The continent is blotting out the sun. Probably not a good thing. Few things that unnaturally blot out the sun are.

---

The Veldt

-Strago picked up a few new blue spells (Gravity, Vanish, Berserk, Level 3 Confuse). I wish there were some in-game indicator about whether a spell counts as blue or not. Currently, it’s lots of trial-and-error.

-A couple of times here, Gau didn’t immediately recognize us and we had to throw him some dried meat to win him over.



Not sure what triggered that. Probably a berserk Edgar punching him in the face.

-The biggest disappointment in new abilities acquired was easily the Intangir. I was so excited to see that invisible behemoth again, thinking he’d give me Meteor. But no. He grants “Transfusion,” which kills Gau to heal an ally. Worst. Rage. Ever.

---

Glossary of New Rage Abilities

Doberman: Bite (ST physical damage)

Hunting Hound: Bite

Hill Gigas: Magnitude 8 (earthquake-type thing that only affects the enemies)

Adamankory: Acid Rain (massive AOE water)

Bonnacon: Sticky Goo (still not sure, but probably slow)

Intangir: Transfusion. Bleh.

Chimera: Aqua Breath (massive AOE water)

Devourer: Shell Slam (heavy ST physical)

---

Next time: the Floating Continent.