Monday, December 29, 2014

FFVI – Part 58: It’s the Great Cactus, Charlie Brown

Summary: We arrive in Maranda hot on the trail of Mr. Thou. I get sidetracked by hunting a giant cactus. I find him, but he wipes the floor with me. I’m not even mad. I got to fight a giant goofy cactus with a handlebar mustache. It’s all good.


Maranda

-A thief in town says his friend used to mumble “To the right of the treasure chest.” Not sure of the context, but I’m sure I’ll see in time.

-Another thief “uncovered a secret so terrible [he] had to go into hiding.” THE TEASING! IT’S OVER 9,000! But it works. I’m super curious what he’s talking about.

-Someone says he was hunting cactuars (monster of some sort I think), and all of a sudden a big one attacked. In the desert near Maranda. He implies the big cactuar had lots of treasure. WANT

-A swordsman came through recently. Full of doubt and confusion. Cyan?


We must find Cyan right meow.

-LOL – yeah, the follow-up description matches Cyan.

-In Zozo, the man who says “This place is dangerous” is apparently the only honest one.

-Lola’s been receiving letters. From who? Her bf in Mobliz died in the Light of Justice. We know that. Let’s visit Lola directly.

-HOLY SHIT! Someone sent Lola eleven bouquets of silk flowers (since real ones won’t grow anymore). That someone also has been writing her letters. It’s not her dead bf, but the writer claims to be him. It’s super creepy.

-The letter is very formal. Very Cyan.



He’s the only character we’ve ever seen talk like that. The letter continues on to say that they’re rebuilding Mobliz. No, they’re not. Wtf is going on?

-She asks us to mail her reply letter. We attach it to a pigeon outside her house, and the camera follows the pigeon’s path to a town north of here. Kohlingen maybe, though I lost track of it.

-A thief in town says he tried stealing from the cult of Kefka, but barely got out alive from even the first treasure room.

-This town hypes me up to do pretty much everything. There are SO many mini tasks and hints and quests! I think I first want to find the big cactuar, since the desert is right nearby.

--- 
 
Desert South of Maranda

-OMG IT’S GRACIALSGC



-HI GRACIA

-SO ~THAT’S~ WHAT A CACTUAR IS. I asked back in one of my initial posts, like about FFI or something, what her avatar was when she said it was FF-related, and she basically said “you’ll see.” I’VE NOW SEEN! I’m really excited.

-It’s immune to magic, and evades most melee, but Sabin’s Meteor Strike and Edgar’s Chainsaw do a number on it.

-HOLY HELL, SLAGWORM



-This hits on my big personal fear: humongous monsters. It’s titanic – its sprite indicates that what we see is just its head - and it obliterates me with Sandstorm, a ginormous aoe damage spell that it can spam.

-Takes me about five deaths before I figure out that attacking the Slagworm with either magic or melee is a really, really bad idea. Banish works (the first time I’ve had to resort to it), though Death doesn’t.


Banishing the slagworm.

-Well… Banish usually works. When it doesn’t, and when it doesn’t in a row, the Slagworm punishes my party hard.

-So much xp and gil in this desert.

-Just little cactuars so far. You have no idea how much I want to see the big version of these. I don’t even care if it just drops Excalipoor or some similarly bad joke item. Heeeere, cactus cactus cactus!

-Hey, Death actually can work it seems. And it’s cheaper than Banish.

-FOUND HIM

-GIGANTUAR


Like a sir.

-HE HAS A MUSTACHE, A HANDLEBAR MUSTACHE. HE’S LIKE MR PEANUT COSPLAYING A CACTUS. THIS IS THE BEST BOSS IN THE HISTORY OF BOSSES

-He one-shot Sabin with “Knockdown.” Puts out a metric ton of damage with “1,000 Needles” and I die.

-Next attempt, I die again, but learned that Chainsaw works pretty well.

-Dead, dead, dead, dead. I lasted a while one time, but then he started spamming “1,000 Needles.” I must have hit an enrage timer. I think I just don’t have enough damage or healing right now, so I’ll try again later.

-Well, we didn’t kill Gigantuar, but just seeing him was a glorious victory, and my party grew by 5-6 levels while looking for him. We’re all 38-40. I regret nothing.

---

Next time: Following Cyan’s trail.