Friday, December 5, 2014

FFVI – Part 35: Lawnmower Man

Summary: I begin my world tour, checking out all the towns I’ve been to before for new dialogue, missed quests, etc. We start with Mobliz briefly, spend way too much time in Gau’s dad’s house getting nothing done, and find nothing new in Nikeah. Then: Narshe revisited. The hunt is on, Mr. Wolf.


Mobliz

-Oh, right. Gau’s dad is on the north plains. I should visit there.

-We are apparently jerks and don’t tell the injured soldier that we saw Lola in Maranda.

---

Cabin North of Mobliz

-I’ve been here before. This is the guy who thought I was there to repair his clock.

-OHO! IS CLOCK GUY GAU’S DAD? I think so. We kept hearing that he lives alone on the plains north of Mobliz and that he was seriously affected by the death of Gau’s mom. He fits.

-I tried putting Gau at the head of my party, but I keep getting the “are you the repairman” dialogue.



-He thinks Gau is the door repairman, but when I put Edgar at the party, he asks about repairing the clock. Interesting.

-Even with Edgar though, I don’t see a clock to interact with.



-I try sleeping in the guy’s bed. SUCCESS??



-Well, sort of. Now he asks me if I’m here to mow the lawn.

-Never mind, not success. He each party member gets a different response. I test them all out, both before-nap and after-nap.

Terra: Door - Door
Gau: Door - Door
Edgar: Clock - Lawn
Setzer: Clock - Lawn
Cyan: Door - Door
Locke: Clock - Lawn
Sabin: STOVE??

Ok, he thinks Sabin’s the stove repairman. Maybe we’re getting somewhere now.

-MORE SUCCESS!! I click the stove, burn myself, and talk to him again. Now he asks if I’m there to repair the bed. With Sabin still at the lead, I take a nap and talk to him again. He now thinks I’m the clock repairman.

I find the clock on the wall (I can’t see it, but clicked around), and then he changes his dialogue AGAIN, asking me if I’m the lawnmower!

This is where things get annoying.

He said his lawn grew super long in the backyard, but I can’t reach the backyard. I spent a disproportionate amount of time clicking everything in the lawn – a shrub, trees, walking over the lawn – but nothing I do seems to trigger the next dialogue line.

DAMN YOUR LAWN, AGED MAN.

Also, not sure how to progress the door repairman dialogue. Tried clicking all around his front door from both sides. No luck.

---

East Isle

-Flew to an isle east of here. Some mountains, but no cave or anything I can see.

---

Nikeah

-Nothing new.

---

Narshe

-The ghost from Zozo who taught me about espers is now chilling in the tutorial building. Cool.

-More yeti talk.

-FOUND LONE WOLF!! GET BACK HERE



-I had only tried following him to the mine entrances west of Narshe. This time, when I explored the north of town, he was there. He fled north, and I’m pursuing.

Bet your ass I’m pursuing.

---

Next time: the game is afoot!