Sunday, August 30, 2015

FFVII Crisis Core – Part 59: Monster Mission Mash

Summary: Moderate multitude of monster missions. Made a minor modification to my method, making my missions more manageable.


Depths of Judgment

-Sat here a bit enjoying the music.

-Decided to do a bit of Materia Fusion before my next one. During the endless 1,000 soldier mission, I found myself constantly out of MP and full on AP. Steal was useless. In an effort to try utilizing my AP more, I fused myself an Aerial Drain materia. I’ll level it up, see how it goes. Maybe I’ll be able to upgrade it eventually to Aerial Drainra/Drainga.

-Also fused myself a new Curaga materia, one that gives 90% MP.

---

Mission: Monster Research Project > Monster Reports > Nibelheim (3/6)

-This will feature Bomb monsters, so popping on a Blaze Armlet at the start to absorb fire.

(Non-rhetorical question for y’all: is there a way to quickly scroll down the materia list, skipping whole pages/sections at a time? It takes like 20 seconds to scroll from top to bottom for me.)

-Tactical change: I skip as many monsters here as possible instead of engaging them all.

---

Mission: Monster Research Project > Monster Reports > Nibelheim II (4/6)

-Trying out this new method feels better. The missions in the last session killed any joy I had in “combat for combat’s sake,” so just having one or two fights per cave is fine by me.



-Some gargoyles and Funny Faces here is all.

---

Mission: Monster Research Project > Monster Reports > Gongaga (5/6)

-Skipped to the end, fought a griffon. Not much to say.

---

Mission: Monster Research Project > Monster Reports > World of Monsters (6/6)

-I wonder about this one. Will it be in Shinra’s lab? Just against a random assortment of the toughest stuff?

-Nooo! My bane. It’s in an open field. That least skippable of terrains.

-The Phoenix limit break, “Rebirth of Flames,” may be my favorite. It’s not funny like the Cactuar or Tonberry, or cosmically-freaky like Bahamut, but it’s the most beautiful.



The FF series always does phoenixes well. (Though the bird herself looks a bit goofy once the fire goes away.)

-uhhhh… that boss fight went downhill fast. It was a slow lumbering beast. I didn’t dodge one of it’s back leg kicks fast enough, and I was stunned the rest of the fight until I died. Never knew a stun could last forever.

---

Mission: Monster Research Project > Monster Incidents > Unidentified Monsters (1/6)

-New campaign, though not really sure how monster incidents are different from monster reports. Gotta find an Epiornis. And kill it. For science!

-Got to the boss without incident, but it was accompanied by a Diceratops, the monster that stunned me last time. She got me again, and it’s effectively a death sentence because I can’t move.


The Diceratops turned slowly around, walked slowly towards me, and killed me. Nothing I could do.

-Gonna swap out my Blaze Armlet with an anti-Stun item. I choose a Sea Chocobo Armlet, anti-Stun and +80% AP.

-Woot! Got her.


…with a little help from my friend the Tonberry.

That Diceratops was so brutal in part because she took like 15% of my normal attack damage. The Tonberry’s knife is unaffected by the reduction.

-New store access is my reward: “Gongaga Trading.”



I have most of these items already.

---

Mission: Monster Research Project > Monster Incidents > Mass Elimination (2/6)

-This mission is to kill a bunch of Titanis. These are what I know more fondly as Satanic Death Ostriches from Planet X. Hate these buggers.

-Ow. A surprise Firaga from one of the turnip-looking dudes kills me almost off the bat. Back to the Blaze… no. Screw that. Not getting stunned again. I’ll replace my Feather Cap with a Blaze Armlet. (Another non-rhetorical question: what does “increases parameter break by up to 3x” mean? I know limit verge and limit break, but not sure of parameter break.)


Locked in combat with a beast even more deadly than it is ridiculous. Which is saying something.

-The adjustment worked. Plus I try to not get in close to the death ostriches. Instead using my newly acquired Quake.

Success!

---

Next time: More missions, normal difficulty and below.