Wednesday, July 2, 2014

FFII – Part 10: Stairway to Heaven

Completed it! Woo hoo!

This was tough. Kept having to go back to town to get Golden Needles and Maidens Kisses especially, as I didn’t stock up enough to start. But Arubboth, nee Unknown Palace, kept throwing those Toading mobs at me. The mini-bosses were pretty nasty too, especially the Steel Giant.

(In reading about this game in hindsight, people complain that it was way too grindy, but I didn’t find the base game that way. Only had to really grind for 60-80 minutes. Proportionally WAY more grinding in SoR, but even then it wasn’t too bad. Other than that, just explored and played through the story. Never ran from a fight.)

So the emperor. Not much backstory, but in terms of raw power, that’s gotta be one of the most awesome villains around. Conquers the world, then SPLITS IN TWO TO CONQUER BOTH HEAVEN AND HELL. Wow. As a boss, the Heaven Emperor wasn’t really all that hard to be honest – similar in difficulty to the Hell Emperor.

I wonder if the Heaven Emperor really was different from the Hell one. I’ll bet he is. Still power-hungry, but probably in a more benevolent way. Unless he was 100% lying about the good and evil split post-death, which is entirely possible.

I love the shifting perspectives at the end. I loved that we got to see the main party – Maria and friends – fighting the Hell Emperor! And then, the living spirits visit the ghosts in heaven to give us inspiration to fight the Heaven Emperor (or is it Empress?). I love that was got the ghost perspective

AND KAIN IS RICARD’S SON. I played FFIV before so I remember him. Is that some parallel universe shit? Must be, because I can’t believe it’s the same world as FFIV.

Some final stats…

Soul of Rebirth time total: just over seven hours
Health per character –
Minwu: ~1500
Scott: ~2500
Josef: ~1700
Ricard: ~3400

-----

Next up: FFIII. I got the Nintendo DS emulator, DeSmuME, and at first glance the FFIII rom seems to work with it, but the double screen thing is weird tbh. So is the 3D thing. Do you guys recommend this over the NES version?