Sunday, July 20, 2014

FFIV After Years – Part 28: The Master of Fabul (Yang’s Tale)

Summary: We see Yang ruling over Fabul, and meet his daughter, Ursula. She’s awesome. Yang won’t train her formally, trying to protect her, but it doesn’t really work. She heads off on her own to Mt. Hobs, and Yang meets up with her with some redshirt monks. Together they investigate the impact crater from the fallen star. On their way back to Fabul, they see the Red Wings a-comin’.

----

Fabul

-“The Master of Fabul”

-Similar to Edge’s tale, starts in combat against monks. Trainees I guess.

-Yang’s daughter, Ursula! He won’t let her train with him though. Boo!

-Ursula apparently has a stubborn streak. And I like her already.

-Yang, similar to Edward and Porom for example, doesn’t want to believe that Cecil could turn Baron evil as he hears news of the crystal gathering.

-Ursula escaped Fabula, apparently to head for Mount Hobs.

-The new crater has nasty monsters at the new moon.

-Monks around Fabul think Ursula is a better fighter than any of them. I really hope I get to play as her!

-Off we go to Mount Hobs to find Ursula, with two monks in tow. I wonder: will we see the noble and wronged Dad Bomb? Maybe Vengeful Uncle Bomb?

----

Mount Hobs

-Standard monsters here.

-Not sure if bare hands are better than claws. Maybe claws are better if they break resistances (e.g. fire claws vs zombies or ice claws vs gators), and bare fists are better otherwise? In either case, a single claw seems like the worst option because I only strike once, rather than hitting once with a claw and once with a bare fist.

-Summit: HI URSULA


The same situation as when we first met Yang…

-I was kidding about Dad Bomb. It’s… oh, Mom Bomb? Another Mom Bomb I guess.

-Okay, I’m male, so it’s not like I’m (directly) the wronged party here, but it really kind of annoys me that this is yet another FF female that’s a healer. Ursula has got some badass monkery going and melee damage, but she’s the only one of the monks who can cast heals. I don’t know if that’s weird to be annoyed at something so small, but I’m annoyed nonetheless.

-Woohoo!! Ursula = new party member.

-Off to investigate the Fallen Star (the impact crater I guess).

-I like her sass, and how she wheedled her dad into letting her come. “Can I come, Dad?” “No! Too dangerous!” “Okay, fine. So I’ll trudge down Mount Hobs across the dangerous forest all by myself…” “…FINE, come with us.”

--Torn between wanting to heal with a tent and wanting to keep Waning Moon to boost my melee. Going with the moon and no tent.

-Huh?? I looted a spell, that allows Rydia to learn “Goblin.” WTF. That’d have to be the most useless summon of all even if I had Rydia in my party.

----

Impact Crater

-They reiterate that the star is rotting the earth.

-Back to Edge-style crater navigation rather than Edward-style. Instead of finding a normal path down the mountain, we get to hop down from gas vent to gas vent. Like a mini-game to find the right way.

-Moment #72 of Tale-Interactivity That I Love: When we get to the bottom, we see what Edge’s student made… that monument to the fallen monks of Fabul.


Thank you, Gekkou.

-OMG THE SYLPHS SHOW UP TO WARN YANG! Their sprites (hee!) look transparent, or rather faded somehow. Still shackled I guess but somehow transmitting to him.

-SYLPHS: “They’ve come for us! And they will come for the crystals next!”

I still am not quite sure how these tie together. I guess both were gifts from the Lunarians, and maybe these are some isolationist Lunarians who want to withdraw the gifts, feeling we’re not worthy of it. Or something?

-Back to Fabul, thankfully without encountering Evil Moon Girl. I’m glad they gave me a gas vent that pops me out of the crater without making me retrace the whole path down the crater.

---

Mount Hobs

-But no such luck on Hobs. Dammit. Have to retrace the whole damn thing.

-Little cutscene on the mountain: the Red Wings are heading to Fabul!


Ride of the Evil Moon Valkyries!

---

Next time: to Fabul to hopefully not get destroyed by the Red Wings.