Wednesday, July 2, 2014

FFIV – Part 9: Shadow of the Colossus


Today, picked up FuSoYa from the moon (felt comfortably leveled this time, in my mid-40s, not underleveled). Headed back to Earth, and….

Hooo Leeeee Shiiiiit….

See 1:25-2:10 from the "Let's Play" at the top of this post (not mine).

That cinematic. The Giant of Babil emerging. It was a thing of beauty.

It’s hard to describe why exactly. It was just awe-inspiring, the way certain monster movie titans done well can feel. Titanic, but cloaked enough to seem mysterious. Then the lasers. Gah! Just the whole thing. Only Godzilla can save us.

It also reminds me a bit of Shadow of the Colossus in terms of its art style. I mean this in the best way possible.

I also like the layout, how you journey through the mechanical anatomy (Head, throat, torso) rather than through anonymous floors.

Is this the first time in the Final Fantasy series we’ve gone high tech? Where we fought robots and laser beams and mechanical sentries? I seem to remember parts of FFI, like Tiamat’s castle, having some of it, but not sure it was ever this explicit. Whatever the case, it’s a cool addition to the purer fantasy elements, so I doubt it’ll be the last high-tech stuff in the FF series.

The Four Fiends and the CPU were both pushovers, but mostly because I got the gimmick. For Four Fiends, just pour on the counter elements to each, and for the CPU, kill the Defense first, then CPU, then Attack.

----

Next up: Dunno? The moon and then the final moon cave I guess. We’ll see.