Wednesday, July 2, 2014

FFII – Part 8: Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

This is wild. This is beyond wild. I love this premise so much.

Just when I thought FF2 was over and the story wrapped up, we get to see the story of the side characters who died. After they died. In Hell. Or… well, something that’s probably not hell but is some kind of afterlife?

[West Wing spoilers] Vg’f yvxr vs gurl qvq n Jrfg Jvat fcvabss pnyyrq, “Znaqlivyyr,” fgneevat Ebo Ybjr naq Zbven Xryyl. V’q gbgnyyl or vagb vg.

Minwu is the main character, and first meets up with and helps out Scott. I don’t quite get who they’re fighting. They look like imperial knights, but this is Ghostland, so they’re the ghosts of imperial knights? What happens when they die? Do they keep coming back for more, like Zombie Barghest says? Do they go to Double Hell?

The answer: when my characters die again, they go to the load screen. How do I know this? Because this cave is FUCKING HARD, and I went to the load screen approximately seventy-three billion times. I knew jackshit when I started FF2, and one of the mistakes I made was not gearing up my fourth characters. Another mistake was keeping Minwu in the back row for his duration in my party. This means he had about 400 health in SoR to start.

Giants? I’m dead. Rhinos? I’m dead. Vampires? Dead. Anything ambushing me? Dead. Every fight through this cave – at least until Ricard, who had 2k health and hit like a truck – was basically a boss fight, struggling to survive with what little resources and ether I had.

I do like the self-aware humor about how similar the deaths of these side characters all were:

RICARD: At least I bought them as much time as I could.
JOSEF: You too, huh?

LOL

I also imagine some of y’all are laughing at me because it probably only gets harder, but the start of Soul of Rebirth is without question the most difficult part of the FF series so far. No question.

I even commented in the last post about how much I enjoy the side characters, and now I get them all to myself? What a treat.

---

Next time: Machanon.