Wednesday, July 2, 2014

FFIV – Part 16: Long Memories

Before I hit this last trial for my current party, I passed Kain’s and Cid’s doors.

Floors of remembrance:
1)Started off with an Old Man who asked me a bunch of questions. Are you intellectual or athletic? To get attention, would you sing or do magic tricks? Etc. A little bit like one of those, “Which Hogwarts House do you belong to?” quizzes. (For the record, HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!) They gave me “mage” as my quiz result, and gave me a Soma Drop – permanent MP add – and Dry Ether.

2)I call this floor “Cosby’s Revenge.” All pudding, all the time. My favorite was when I got packs of “Flan Princess,” pink pudding mobs that cast Berserk on my party members in the best way possible. They said, “Let’s dance!” and changed the combat music to the chocobo forest music.

3)An outdoor lake with sylphs. They healed me and gave me a Megalixir. No fights.

4)A different “Village of the Moon,” with some really great weapons and armor to buy. The highlight of these weapons was a knife called “Assassin’s Blade” for Palom. It seems to auto-kill many humanoid mobs, which significantly impacted my tactics.

5)A cave with a sequence of locked doors for which I had to find the keys in each section. This could’ve been a pretty typical floor, where I hunt around, find a key, open a door, and move on. What makes it so much better is the imagery. Instead of just “Key,” I find, say, “Honey.” The door I have to unlock has an image of a bear. When I use the “Honey” on the door, the image of the bear eats the honey, goes to sleep, and unlocks the door. Other keys:

a.Purified water to open a “Dead tree” door. The dead tree image drinks the water and springs to life.
b.I find firewood and then use that with fire to turn the wood into a lit torch. The door has a picture of an unlit lamp, which lights up to unlock the door.
c.A doll I find in a room, and the door has an image of a sad little girl. When I use the doll on the door, the girl becomes happy, takes the doll, and opens the door.

6)A short Lunar Subterrane floor. Found a “Rainbow Robe,” but I assume it’s for Rydia or Rosa because neither Palom nor Porom can use it.

7)Feymarch floor.

8)Mount Ordeals floor. This makes me think I’m coming close to the end, because the specific floor of Mount Ordeals is the top one, where I encountered the initial Paladin Ordeal and Scarmiglione.

9)Giant of Babil floor. New sword for Edge – Mutsunokami.

----

Next up: Palom’s and Porom’s door, and the final push.