Wednesday, July 2, 2014

FFIV After Years – Part 11: Tsukinowa’s Mission (Edge’s Tale)

Tsukinowa started in Mysidia, disguised as a black mage trainee named Lapin. She eavesdropped on a meeting of the town mages, led by the Elder and Porom, which ended with Porom going to Mt. Ordeals for reasons unknown. She followed Porom up the mountain, but lost track of her. At that point, she saw the Tower of Babil glowing, and she headed back to Eblan. How, you might ask? By running across the water. Yeah.

---

Mysidia

-She disguised herself as a black mage trainee in Mysidia.

-Cool music! Bouncy! I always like the Mysidia music.

-Wait, maybe it’s not her. It’s some kid called Lapin.

-But Lapin is not native to Mysidia. We get a sepia flashback to Lapin washing up unconscious onto the shores west of Mysidia, a la post-Leviathan Cecil.

-He was discovered on the shore by a white and black mage. They each have portraits, and I have to assume they’re the same mages that accompanied Ceodore and the mystery dude to Baron.

-Hi, Porom! “Lady Porom” gets serious respect in Mysidia.

-Lapin reminds Porom of young Palom. Mischevious apparently and shit like that.

-Oh! Lapin is actually Tsukinowa in disguise.

-LOL @ SIGN IN THE INN: “Please do not cast Toad or Pig on others.”

-Some kid around town can cast Toad on me, but in a nice change from the base game, it doesn’t happen automatically. It gives me a “Yes or no?” option before he Toads me.

-The bartender said a Baronian airship crashed to the east, so this is definitely after Ceodore’s Tale.

-And another mage saw two people enter the Devil’s Road. But in Ceodore’s Tale, there were four, no? Ceodore, the Man of Mystery, White Mage, and Black Mage. Continuity issue or significant?

-Palom is in Troia we hear (as we saw in Izoyai’s mission).

-There’s some secret meeting in the Tower of Prayers, but I can’t get in.

-I’ve run out of stuff to do, but so time to leave town.

---

Wandering

-The Western cape where “Lapin” first washed up is its own mini map screen, but all I get is here is a brief reflection that when I’m done, I’ll have to come back to this spot to leave for Eblan.

-Tried wandering east, also. Got to Mount Ordeals, but “I have no business here,” Tsu says, and he turns around automatically and leaves the mountain.

-Tried hunting around for Ceodore’s wrecked airship, just in case, but I didn’t see it anywhere.

-Ok.

-So.

-Yeah, I got stuck. For a while. Tried wandering around, but no luck.

---

Mysidia Again

-Eventually, I wandered back to Mysidia and put together how to get into that meeting. I had the boy from earlier Toad me. Toad version freaked out the mage guarding the meeting, allowing me to hop in unnoticed.

-It’s cool to see that Palom gets lots of respect in Mysidia as well. I guess he did become the epically great black mage he always wanted to be. The Mysidian mages are freaked out about the possibility of a war without him there.

-Porom decided to go to Mt. Ordeals. Why?

-lol. Just as I asked that, so did Tsu.

-BACK TO MOUNT ORDEALS!

---

Mount Ordeals Again

-Tsu’s special attack = “Steal,” like Edge in the base game

-All the chests are now “Monster-in-a-Box”

-Tsu: “I can’t let my guard down around Porom for even a moment.” Why not? To protect her? Because of fear for being betrayed? I’m confused.

-One of Tsu’s Ninjitsu spells is “Gale.” Is this like “Aero” from FFII and FFIII, those spells which did more harm to flying enemies? Not sure.

-Why is Tsu hiding from Porom rather than just joining her and being like, “Hey, I know Edge! Let me help”?

-Aw. Porom’s worried about Palom. I really like the two of them.

-My weapon, Metal Boomerang, destroys flying mobs.

-Hm. Porom seems to have gone inside the paladin-transmogrification-device-thingymajig at the top of the mountain. Tsu can’t get in.

-Now Tsu sees Babil ractivated.

-I kind of like how we only see a part of this story. It’s a great teaser for Porom’s tale. I’m really excited to learn why she went to Mount Ordeals, and what she saw in the Transmogrification Monument.

-OH SHIT I FORGOT, WHAT ABOUT KAIN, DID SHE MEET KAIN? WAS HE JUST CHILLING OUT FOR THE PAST 17 YEARS AT THE TOP OF THE MOUNTAIN?

-Tsu then saw Babil reactivated. Back down the mountain, to the Western Cap, towards Eblan to report in.

-SO COOL!!! TSU GOT TO THE OCEAN AND STARTED RUNNING. God, this game makes ninjas seem awesome.