Thursday, July 24, 2014

FFIV After Years – Part 31: Return of the Kain (Kain’s Tale)

Summary: We start with Kain on Mt. Ordeals. He eventually follows a voice into KluYa’s monument for a mirror match, but we don’t see what happens. He next saves Porom, and then we flash forward to his deal with Evil Moon Girl in Mysidia. The two of them head to Baron, but she won’t let Kain kill “Cecil” until he retrieves the remaining crystals from Fabul and Damcyan.

---

Mount Ordeals

-This is the first time the game has asked me whether I want to play using previously saved data, Ceodore’s specifically. I guess this means this will be closely related to that tale.

-Kain starts on Mt. Ordeals, his normal broody self.

-He’s super powerful. MURDERIZES all the monsters. (Overleveled, I guess.)

-Hm. Went up one level to the summit, but can’t go in the monument. Time to leave the mountain.

-“Jump” seems to count as a thrown weapon, and benefits from the new moon. Makes sense. Sorta.

-Got to the base, but then Kain stops: “(I can’t leave this mountain. Not yet.”)

-Then hark! A voice! “You!” I guess I’m going back up the mountain.

-“Dragoon…” WTF. Is the voice KluYa?

-At the summit bridge: “You… will…” WHAT

-At the monument: “You, too, will…” WHAT DUDE WHAT. Followed by more creepy sentence fragments.


WHAT ARE YOU SAYING DUDE THIS IS CREEPY

-The monument sucked Kain in, and it’s MIRROR MATCH TIME a la Cecil in the base game!

-And… title screen. “Kain’s Tale: Return of the Dragoon.” Now that’s how you start a tale. Awesome intro.

-We don’t actually see the fight. We flash forward a bit to Kain back on the mountain when he Dragoon Ex Machinas Porom from an undead death.


Here he comes to save the daaaay!

---

Mysidia

-Flash forward to Evil Moon Girl’s deal with Kain. I still don’t get this, but he jumps away.

-As he jumps away from the scene, instead of sticking with Porom’s perspective as we did at the end of her tale, we actually follow Kain’s perspective, and (kind of funny) he doesn’t really jump that far. Just to the Devil’s Road.

---

Devil’s Road

-EMG won’t tell Kain who she is really, but he follows her through.

-Kain asks EMG what happened to Cecil. She says, “As king of Baron, he’s perfectly fine.” Weird phrasing, but little about EMG isn’t weird.

KAIN: Tell me one thing: why are you collecting the crystals?
EMG: There’s no need for you to know.

The fact that Kain’s pursuing this makes me think Kain doesn’t really intend to turn over the crystals, but is rather just using this as a ruse to get close to EMG>

-EMG asks Kain who HE is. I’m surprised by this for two reasons:
a) Why doesn’t she know already?
b) Why does she have the slightest interest?

-For some reason, Devil’s Road was way smoother than last time. It really helped being familiar with the path to take through the mini-maze. The fights were also easier and shorter this time.

---

Baron Town

-Started in town, where a random person said: “I saw a man with Prince Ceodore… I’ve seen him before, I’m sure of it.” GRRGJRLDHSDLS I STILL HAVE NO IDEA who that Hooded Man with Ceodore was. But shit like this makes me sure I’m going to kick myself in the head (“Oh, that was Soandso, of course!”) when I find out.

-Not much else in town. Armor and weapons were already good.

---

Baron Castle

-When Kain gets to the castle, the guards hop to follow EMG’s commands. They know which side their evil lunar bread gets buttered on.

-Random soldiers around Baron say, “Your orders, my liege.” Instead of “…” Any reason for this? Maybe because he has EMG’s blessing to walk around.

-The only people in the castle right now are the Stepford Guards.

-Kain gets to the throne room, and the only person there is EMG. But she wants to test him before allowing him to kill Evil Moon Cecil? I’m so confused.

-Oh, BULL. EMG is saying Kain has to get two more crystals before she’ll let him kill Cecil. This is why he was in Fabul, I guess.



-To reiterate: I’m SUPER confused. This kind of blows up my previous theory that Kain was just trying to get close to EMG. He’s close, and if that was all I don’t think he’d assault Fabul just to keep up that pretext.