Wednesday, July 2, 2014

FFIV After Years – Part 13: Nin-ja, Nin-ja RAP (Edge’s Tale)

Summary: Edge progressed through the Tower of Babil towards the top. As he did so, he gradually was joined by his fellow ninjas, one-by-one, returing from their reconnaissance. (Except for Izoyai. R.I.P.) Eventually, they encountered Evil Moon Girl who summoned the shackled Ifrit and basically kicked their asses six ways from Sunday. The party fled through the tower, took a leap of faith off it, and landed in Rydia’s ship, right where her tale ended. END OF EDGE’S TALE.

---

-The first fight: “???: You’d better not leave me behind!” Huh?

-TSUKINOWA HI

-Awesome reunion

-Do boomerangs still suffer back row penalties for attack?

-Another “boss” fight, but no ninja joining up like last time. This makes me sad, because now I know that I fucked up with Izayoi. She’d join me here probably.

-Zangetsu joined now. Avengers assemble!

-And eventually, Gekkou hops on board, warning us about Evil Moon Girl.

-Now I, the player, actually feel guilty that I let Izayoi die. A full reunion would have been so happy here. I’ll bet the full ninja team would also have access to some awesome and badass Band attack.

-Top of the tower, and who do we see? EVIL MOON GIRL!

-Is Edge now hearing his dead parents’ voices? “(Run… runaway from here as fast as you can.)

CREEPY

-Yes. He now sees them flash, and sees Rubicante flash briefly as well.

-Great conversation between Edge and EMG:

EMG: No use explaining [my plans] to an inferior species.
EDGE: Inferior species, you say? Yes, you may have a point.
EMG: Good. You have some sense, I see.
EDGE: Well, I do my best. But you do realize that humans have the power to adapt, right?
EMG: Adapt?

Very cool. Love you, Edge. He’s also matured greatly from the hothead from the base game, while retaining the same snarky core.

-CRASH! Battle time with EMG! Her battle sprite is really cool.

-She summons Ifrit. He seems untouchable, except for shurikens.

-Now I’m on the ropes. Edge tries to run, but EMG is having none of it. Eventually he finds a trap door from his previous time in Babil.

-I keep getting random encounters with Ifrit, but Edge says to keep running and that seems like sound advice.

-Each time I run, a party member talks about how tired they’re feeling, how physically exhausted they are. This is a nice touch, to emphasize the escape.

-What’s Edge looking for?

-THE AIRSHIP HANGAR! We get a sepia-toned flashback to Cecil and company discovering the Falcon. Will we find an airship to save us now?

-No. No airship in dock. We’re backed into a corner.

-Edge keeps mentioning that history is repeating itself. It certainly seems that way. Coincidence? Like, is he talking about finding themselves in a similar danger and needing to learn lessons, or is it more metaphysical? Like, is there some time loop thing about the past influencing the present, causing history to repeat?

My guess is that it’s the former rather than the latter, but not sure.

-Edge JUMPS OFF THE EMPTY DOCK!!! His fellow ninjas follow suit. He said he was following his instinct, and as you might expect, this leap of faith befuddled EMG.

-HAHAHAHA YES I FIST PUMPED THE AIR

-THIS IS AWESOME

-At the end of Rydia’s Tale, Rydia and Luca flew their airship towards the Tower of Babil. We pick up (lol) where we left off, as the ship happens to catch the falling ninjas.

-Edge on seeing Rydia: “I haven’t died and gone to heaven, have I?” Aw. Cheesy, but aw. It also might have been a literal question. After all, he did just jump off a building.

-LOL MORE FLIRTY BANTER

EDGE: Luca! Looking good!
Luca: Not as good as you!

-And now the Man in Black is on the ship. WTF. He’s all like, “No time to explain!” Is every tale going to end with a mysterious and unnamed person being mysterious?




---

Next time: Palom’s Tale