Wednesday, July 2, 2014

FFIV After Years – Part 8: Grounded (Rydia’s Tale)

Last part of Rydia’s tale.

Chucky and Bride of Chucky somehow turned evil to start, but we killed them. Sort of? Can dolls die? The Red Wings shot down our airship over Agart. Rydia and Luca stopped briefly in the town before heading down into the Agart Mine to find parts to repair the airship. After they got out, Titan (under Evil Moon Girl’s control) popped out from the underworld. A literal Mysterious Stranger saved us at the last minute, before turning Final Fantasy into crossover land with Stephen King’s “Dark Tower” series.

---

Airship

-We briefly see Palom on a chocobo with an unknown woman. (Maybe “Sweet Palom on a Chocobo” is the FF version of “Sweet Jesus on a popsicle” or something.) This is cool to me, since I imagine we’ll see this from Palom’s perspective when we get to his tale.

-LOL! Luca’s jealous of whoever Palom’s with. I wonder if the internet has Palom/Luca shippers?

-Oh God. Calca and Brina are awake. WITH CREEPY DOLL MUSIC. THEY’RE EVIL, and they have KNIVES.

-I FUCKING KNEW THEY’D ATTACK

-Here come the Red Wings… and they shot down the Falcom.

-LOL – Rydia imitating Cid’s voice to inspire Luca.

---

Agart

-Cid went into the mine regularly

-Namingway now is “Challengingway.” Terrible name, but he says he can help me after I clear my unfinished business. Maybe this means that after the main TAY story is done, he’ll give me after-after years quests.

-Note: I found one Challengingway in Agart and one in Mist Cave so far.

---

Agart Mine

-I like the glittery effect on the mine’s wall to help differentiate it from regular caves.

-Ooh, strategy! It’s “New Moon,” so Luca gets a bonus to her throw attack. I can stick her I the back of the party for this phase with no attack penalty.

-I really like the Luca/Rydia band attack, partly because it does a ton of single-target damage and partly because it’s called “Lightning Brain Buster.”

-Is there only one band attack per pair?

-OW!! Another turtle boss, Agartoise. The first turtle boss in a while that I can remember, since his little bro, Adamantoise, in FFII. I really like this encounter, because it’s about strategy and timing more than just hitting attack. He’s fire-based, so I first assumed I would just attack with Luca and spam Blizz spells.

Yeah, I died.

The main issue is that he charges himself up, and I have to almost immediately cast Blizzara or he whomps me with a one-shot Blaze. And if the first attack after he charges up is not ice-based, he one-shots me. So I had to adjust by timing my attacks, waiting for him to charge up when I had Rydia selected and then casting Blizzara just after he charges up, and only then when he’s un-charged using Luca to attack.

Patience won out, and the reward was Agartite, which Luca will use to fix the airship.

-Another chest had “Mithril Spring,” but no idea what I’ll use that for.

-Tydia’s “Warp” sucks. It’s buggy as hell. Sometimes it takes me deeper into the dungeon, sometimes farther out.

---

Airship Again

-I love the airship music.

-Oh no! Not enough parts to save the ship. I did not expect that.

-OH HO HO!! Luca’s salvaging parts from Calca and Brina to fix the ship! That’s some cold-hearted shit. She’s like the Dr. Frankenstein of aeronautical engineering, and the airship’s her monster. I wish this meant we could change the airship music to that haunting Calcabrina music if I wanted.

-OH SHIT IT’S TITAN HI TITAN

-He’s still shackled, so we have to fight him. It’s a tough fight. Spammed “Lightning Brain Buster” for massive damage, and still had to use Ether on Luca to keep on trucking with that strategy.

-The fight ended in one of those last minute saves where Titan knocks us both down to 1hp before someone literally called “Man in Black” swoops in to save me. Zorro?

-MIB: “The tower awaits.” (We see the Tower of Babil glowing.)

Nope! It’s WALTER!!! (Sorry for Stephen King references.)



The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed...

---

And that’s Rydia’s tale!

Next time: Edge’s Tale.