Sunday, September 27, 2015

FFVII Dirge of Cerberus – Part 5: Hounded

Summary: The Big Bad enemy gets named: the Deepground Soldiers. Citizens have been disappearing from the town of Edge, so Vincent and Reeve head over there pursued by Deepground hounds.
 

Showdown in the Wastes

-Vincent and Reeve on a train. [Later edit: turned out to be a truck, not a train.]

-Reeve gives some background on the past three years. The villains saying “Hail, Weiss” are “Deepground Soldiers,” the remnants of Shinra set up by the former president. Their goal is to create a superhuman soldier race. For… reasons?

-Azul (the large blue Qunari-looking dude) though is part of a DIFFERENT antagonistic organization called the “Tsviets.” Dunno if they’re part of the Deepground Soldiers or entirely separate. Probably related is my guess.

-Only Heidegger, Scarlet, and Hojo knew about the Deepground in addition to President Shinra. Not even Rufus knew.

-Yikes. The news report Vincent was watching earlier said 20-30 people disappeared from Junon, but it was really 1,200!! JESUS. No trace.



Just some rumors of screams from Midgar.

-A rogue/pirated transmission bursts onto the TV.

-WHO THE FUCK IS THAT



“The tainted shall be slashed, strangled, and slaughtered. Beaten, stabbed, and crushed. Garroted and impaled. Shot and executed without mercy.”

!!!!!!!!!!!!! LIKE, HOLY SHIT!! This is both terrifying in its specificity and a refreshing change from Genesis already. (I assume this guy is Weiss.)

-Just as the transmission ends, tentacle guard hounds (which we saw fighting for Wutai throughout Crisis Core) attack the train.

---

Stage: Eradicate the Guard Hounds

-Vincent is manning a chain gun on the back of this train having to mow down the attacking hounds.



-(Actually, it looks more like a truck than a train.)

-After knocking dogs out from behind the van, I had to jump to the rooftop and take them down from there.



I’m a bit confused – I died on the roof of the truck, but the game keeps going? Must just be unusually forgiving.

-The city of Edge is in enemy hands, though not sure which enemy. Probably Deepground. Reeve will stay behind to repair the damaged truck (the “Shadowfox”) while Vincent heads towards Edge on foot.

---

Walking to Edge

-Time out. Before I go forward, there are two things I want to check out: the options/configurations, and my gun set-up.

-First, slow down the sight speed. It moves way too quickly for me. I’ll also try setting Sight Support on “Automatic,” making it auto lock on targets. [Later edit: this was a huge change. It felt almost like cheating in a way, but the aiming was so awkward without this that I’m okay keeping it on automatic.]

-Second, weapons. I think I’ll try… hm… Cerberus with normal barrel as my default, a long-barrelled Griffon for taking out farther packs of enemies, and a short-barrelled Cerberus for getting swarmed with close-range targets.

-Ruh-roh, Raggy. Here come the hounds.

-Cool boss here! The Crimson Hound bounces from plateau to plateau and I have to track her and snipe her.


The Crimson Hound.

- When I beat a stage or mini-boss like that, it shows me a cinematic of Vincent killing the boss in some more epic way. Like, I just shot the Crimson Hound a bunch and he died, but in the cinematic, the dog ran up to Vincent who kicked him into the air and shot him immediately after like skeet.

I like this technique in small doses, though this game seems to be using is a lot.

-Next stage is an open craggy area with cracks that make me think the ground will give way. It doesn’t, but I’m attacked by what looks to be a Deepground biker gang.


Pegasus Riders.

---

Next time: in the city.