Sunday, May 24, 2015

FFVII – Novellas, Part I

Summary: Some of y’all (I think it was CJWriterGal first, but apologies if my memory’s off!) directed me towards seven FFVII novellas/short stories out there. So I read them, and here are some brief reactions to the first four: Aerith, Tifa, Nanaki, and Barret.


”Maiden who Travels the Planet” (Case of Aerith) http://www.finalfantasykingdom.net/maidenwhotrave...

-Quick note on the name spelling: I have no preference one way or the other. Aeris will usually be my default because that was the character’s name in the version I played, but when the writer uses “Aerith” I’ll go with that.


-This immediately reminds me of Final Fantasy II: Rebirth of Souls, the sequel to FFII where you played in the afterlife as all the party members who died during the course of the game.

-Cool to learn more about what her role was on the planet when alive.

-More Zack stuff! Will I finally see a bit more about him with the movie?

-Is that…

-please

-HAHAHA YES HI JESSIE. And Wedge and Biggs. Okay, now this is DEFINITELY like “Rebirth of Souls” if they’re gonna start gathering up.

-And Dyne. Ina calmer state than we left him… oh. Nm. This feels like a kind of purgatory for him.

-President Shinra’s still very much himself. Ick.

-So Zack and Cloud were friends it seems. Wasn’t sure from the game if they were friends or just colleagues.

-What a jackass Hojo is. Not sure why he’s so dead set on serving or increasing Jenova’s power, but there’s little about that entity that I understand.

-Huzzah! Redemption for all who want it.

---

”On the Way to a Smile” (Case of Tifa) http://www.finalfantasykingdom.net/onthewaytoasmi...


-I love seeing how tough Avalanche’s fight was against the sheer convenience of Mako energy.

-So we’re in the aftermath of the FFVII game now. Is Denzel Tifa’s and Cloud’s son? Hm.

-Aeris

-This reminds me of something that Final Fantasy V did well. Shows how the companions that were supportive in battle during the game could be so emotionally supportive in dealing with the aftermath, and how important that was.

-Chef Barret! Kinda want an FFVII-Leverage crossover where Elliot and Barret talk about cooking while Yuffie and Parker trade thievery tips. Glad the bar is back.

-Seventh Heaven and a delivery service. A domestic AU that’s now canon.

-Ah, so Denzel is a Sector Seven refugee basically.

-And not just any refugee, but one it seems that Aeris directed their way. O3P!

---

”On the Way to a Smile” (Case of Nanaki)


Cosplay by Stavart.

-Gilligan? A parasite maybe. Doesn’t sound good.

-Yay! Nanaki deserves some travel time to relax rather than to fight.

-Sounds like a disease has hit the wider world…. “Midgar Illness.” Doesn’t sound good.

-I like Nanaki’s unwillingness to hurt this bear if at all possible. Aw, man, can we not have Nanaki fall into the hands of an awful person? (Phew. It doesn’t go there.)

-NANAKI AND CUBS

-Nanaki and cubs

-I like seeing this relationship between Vincent and Nanaki. I imagine I’ll get to see them interact in the movie.

-Aha! The “Geostigma” that Denzel has is the same Midgar Illness that Yuffie’s friend has. This may end up being a Thing.

-Yuffie hugging Nanaki and encouraging him on his way. The best.

-Glad that Gilligan seems to not be the illness or a parasite, but just some manifestation of Nanaki’s fear of loss and loneliness.

-Vincent’s an immortal? That sucks. (That probably shouldn’t be my reaction, but I’ve seen “Torchwood.”) A good match for the long-lived Nanaki then.

-That was my favorite of these three stories so far I think.

---

Next time: I’ll finish the rest of the stories if I have time before the “Advent Children” liveblog. Will probably post the rest of the reactions later today regardless.