Wednesday, May 13, 2015

FFVII – Part 69: Spelunking

Summary: The party leaves the Highwind for the North Cave. The path to Sephiroth and Jenova, who we STILL KNOW JACK ABOUT WHO ARE YOU JENOVA. The terrifying Tonberry. The party splits.


The Highwind

-As much as I love Yuffie, Nanaki, and Cait Sith, I feel it’s most appropriate to keep Barret and Tifa in my party.

-Talked to Yuffie, and she wants Cloud to sign a contract that she gets all the materia after the war. Lol. He doesn’t sign.

-LOL – Tifa asks Cloud to tell her things will be alright. An option menu appears.




-Cid talks about a play, “LOVELESS,” that’s been going since he was a kid. When I first said I hadn’t seen it, it ended the conversation. When I then said I had, he opened up more. Saw it when he was training as a pilot. Fell asleep, and someone told him his snoring was too loud.

He woke up for that ending, when the sister of a character says, “Do you really have to leave?” The guy responds, “I made a promise. People I love are waiting.” That whole exchange, that whole scene, now clicks with him in a way it didn’t before. Cool.

-Nanaki continues to be awesome.



-We head down into the crater.

---

Northern Cave

-A gargoyle casts “Level 4 Death” on us, but to my surprise it we don’t learn it as an Enemy Skill.

-Huh. An item outside the cave is something we can use to create a save point.

-This place has a very “final dungeon” feel to it, but the game says we just finished part 2. If this is part 3, there’s gotta be a lot left. Unless part 3 is just a finale, a coda.

-I really hate the character select controls in combat in this game. It’s totally unreliable how to switch my cursor from one character to another. Sometimes I press left, sometimes up, sometimes right… bad job, game.

-NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO



-TONBERRY. Not just any Tonberry, but “Master Tonberry.” Dammit.

-He one shots Cloud and Tifa with “Everyone’s Grudge” quickly, despite them having Safety Bits. Wtf.

[Later edit: On further encounters with this jerkface, I notice it just does huge damage rather than being an instant death mechanic. It only one-shots Cloud.]

-How the fuck is this a random encounter and not, say, a final boss fight?

-Survived. Somehow. Jesus. Creating a save point here to rest up.

-Next fight. Thank goodness! It’s just a giant evil dragon. If it were another tadpole, I’d have rage quit.



-Made it to the bottom of the drop. We split into two groups. This makes me nervous, because I haven’t really geared up more than a few of us. Also, WAS THAT ONE THING OUR ONLY SAVE POINT?

The worst final dungeon in the series by far was Final Fantasy III. It was a massive gauntlet full of nasty random encounters and brutal bosses and sub-bosses, with basically zero save points. Maybe one? I just hope the series isn’t repeating that.

---

Left Party

-Cloud, Nanaki, and Yuffie. Cait Sith is sitting out.

Current materia set-up:

Cloud:
Weapon: HP Plus, Lightning, [Added Cut + Earth], Counter Attack, Cover
Armor: Long Range, Leviathan, [All + Restore], [Steal + Destruct]

Nanaki:
Weapon: [All + Restore], [All + Time], [All + Heal]
Armor: Exit, Lightning, Sense, Fire, Ice, Bahamut, Kujata

Yuffie:
Weapon: [All + Restore], [Added Effect + Ice], [All + Revive]
Armor: Time, Phoenix, [All + Barrier], Enemy Skill, Neo Bahamut, [MP Absorb + Comet]

Part of the reason I’m writing this all down is because it took a while to match those all up, and I’m freaked out that if I die and don’t find another save point, I’ll have to rejigger these all again.

-Oh man, our party splits yet AGAIN! Cait Sith and Yuffie head up, Cloud and Nanaki head down.

-A German eyeball mob (“Allemagne”) appears. Thankfully, it’s not “Ahriman,” and doesn’t do that terrifying haste + death sentence attack he’s known for.

-Ran into another Master Tonberry in my little party of just Cloud and Nanaki. Thank the sweet lord that I had equipped an Exit materia on Nanaki. We escape.

-Got a pretty neat materia: “MegaAll.” Adds “All” to every action.

-We reach a bottom of sorts, and Tifa and Cait Sith both arrive. Huh. Does this mean I don’t get to play as the other sub-parties?

-Tifa found “Mythril” and gave it to us. If there’s a part after this cave, I’m definitely taking this to the weapon crafter who needed metal. If I were a betting man, I’d be he’ll give us Excaliber.

-LOL – everyone gives Cloud something they found. Mythril, remedy, etc. Yuffie pretends she didn’t find anything until Cait Sith calls her out.



-Gotta reiterate how freaked out I am that there’s no more save points yet…

“They’re coming!” Who’s coming? Not sure. Only three can move on, so I go with Cloud, Nanaki, and Yuffie because their materia are set up already.

---

Next time: deeper into the North Cave.