Monday, May 4, 2015

FFVII – Part 61: Blast Off!

Summary: Finishing Wutai. Then the party arrives at Rocket Town, fights their way past Rude through the active rocket, and gets caught up in the launch. Cid's still (mostly) a dick.


Wutai

-On the way down, Shake tells us that there’s some “unusual materia” near the underground pipe, but we have to get it from a monster and use our head. Hm. Not sure what underground pipe she means. The one in Junon?

-One of the guys in Godo’s house, praying at his shrine, says something that’s stuck in my craw: “He’s in the pagoda next to Lord Godo. Lord Godo says we’re stuck…”

-I went back to the pagoda’s top floor to check, but don’t see anyone next to Lord Godo. Tried clicking in case the mysterious person next to Lord Godo is hidden or invisible, but no luck. Just Godo flexing at me, telling me to take care of the materia.

---

Da-chao

-I FOUND A THING

-That fire cave on Da-chao was bugging me still, so I went to see if Yuffie changed anything here. Short answer: no, she didn’t. Longer answer: the Leviathan Scales protected me here!



-At the end of the fires that the Scale beat back, got a new “Steal as Well” materia that lets a character steal while using other materia. You’re welcome, Yuffie. As if you needed any help.

-Didn’t find anything else of note in what I hope is my final pass of Da-chao. Tried out Leviathan though, and holy crap does he look awesome.



[Later edit: I wish I could’ve found this by deduction, by thinking logically “Hm, I have this anti-fire item. Where have I been that stopped me because of fire?” Alas - this was more of a random “just making sure I didn’t miss anything.”]

---

Rocket Town

-Although I couldn’t stand him here last, it feels appropriate to slot in Cid to join Yuffie and Cloud.

-In the inn, the guy who (I checked my notes just now) used to wonder if the painting was real or fake is now “starting to get it.” I’m keeping an eye on this guy. He feels like he might be part of a Thing.

-Shinra’s getting serious about launching the rocket.

-An old guy in town starts firing off like a MILLION terrible jokes/wordplays at Cid. I love this.


Though I fear something was lost in translation.

-Cid’s assistant isn’t home. She’s probably at the rocket.

---

Launch Pad

-We get immediately made and attacked by the guards.

-Rude is guarding the rocket at the top. Showdown time?



-Yes. We defeat Rude pretty easily, and push into the rocket.

-Inside, there’s a single guard who’s pretty freaked out that we beat the Turks, but he holds his ground anyway because that’s his job. I admire that.

-The party gets into the control room and hears the engineers talking about how the rocket is going to save the world. Something’s messed up with the auto-pilot, but Shera’s working on it.

-AND AS SOON AS HER NAME IS MENTIONED CID HAS TO BE A BIG BAG OF DICKS.


Cid being a jackass, exhibit P.

Fuck off, Cid.

-Ok, so best I can understand, Cid’s new plan now is to pilot the rocket himself, drawing on the wisdom from the materia. Huh?

-Credit where credit is due: Cid gives a pretty cool pro-science speech.

-LOL – After all that, Palmer calls in to say that they started the ship going because Shera already finished fixing the auto-pilot. That’s what you get, Cid.

-No countdown (to Cid’s disappointment, ha!) – the rocket just blasts off with everyone inside.



-Beautiful cinematic of the launch and… yeah. We’re in space.

---

Next time: SPAAAACE

1 comment:

  1. I hope you're still doing video game commentary ��

    ReplyDelete

If you're commenting on the Final Fantasy playthrough, DO NOT INCLUDE ANY SPOILERS. This includes any hints or references or teasers for content beyond where I have played. Thank you.