Thursday, May 7, 2015

FFVII – Part 65: Pieces of You

Summary: The key unlocks a mechanism that reveals Aeris’s purpose in the Forgotten City. We leave for Midgar, but then a new Weapon emerges and marches towards the city.



Forgotten Capital

-Back to Bugenhagen.

-Oh! That pillar I kept pushing wasn’t a pillar. It was a music box, and this key unlocks it.




…Wait, no, it was a pillar, and the music box playing pushed it down, sending a cascade of water over the seashell.

-This is pretty cool. The cascade of water acts as a wall, and the seashell acts as a projector.



-PROJECTING AN IMAGE OF AERIS WTFFF

-It shows us the gem bouncing from her hair into the water as she dies. Now I get it! The gem was White Materia. That’s what she called herself the guardian of. Her prayers before she died unlocked the White Materia, and I hope will allow us to use Holy against the meteor.

-The gem was glowing green. That’s the sign that the Planet communed with someone. Aeris already prayed for us. And she succeeded. She didn’t die pointlessly or unsuccessfully, and this makes me happy.

-They talk about Holy like it’s not a spell, but almost a Weapon, trying to get out to the Meteor and stop it. Sephiroth is stopping the Holy.

-Cait Sith calls us on PHS. Rufus took the huge canon from Junon to fight Sephiroth. It runs on Huge Materia, which he’s out of, so he has to somehow gather Mako. Where? The ruins of Mideel? Nibelheim?

-Nope. Midgar.



---

Midgar

-Team Shinra plots to take down Sephiroth. Again, this seems like a GOOD thing! They think they can reach the north firing from here.


Kya-ha-ha!

(p.s. Where is Cait Sith’s real body in Shinra HQ? I’m assuming he’s in some kind of spy-cryo-stasis thing to control the cat doll, but he’s able to hear all these conversations.)

-Scarlet names this Mako-powered cannon the “Sister Ray.” Cool.

---

Forgotten Capital

-That fish is still staring at me, and I still can’t understand those Ancient gems scattered around the city.

-This is really, really exciting. I’ve spent most of the game wandering the Planet. Time to come back home to Midgar. (I know it’s not Cloud’s home, but it feels like my home as the player, where this whole adventure started.)

---

Overworld

-Uh-oh. As soon as I walked outside the Forgotten Capital into the overworld, something happened…

-Earthquake?

-OH SHIT HAHAHA A SILVER WEAPON EMERGED FROM THE DEEP



-Is that the Mecha-Godzilla we first saw? Is it on our side? Is it HOLY??

-Cait Sith senses it heading towards Midgar. I don’t get these Weapons – I thought they were supposed to defend the Planet. Or maybe it’s defending the planet against humanity, or something?

-Marlene is safe with Elmyra, which seems to be all that Barret cares about. Hard to fault him for caring about Marlene, but still.

-Man, Cait Sith is going to TOWN on Barret. Calling him out for espousing a philosophy of “as long as it’s good for the Planet and for Marlene, I can do anything,” including mass murder. Which is what Barret did when Avalanche took out Reactor No. 1.



-Surreal to hear someone from Shinra morally assailing one of our party, and yet I can’t wholly disagree.

-Moving on. Time actually to go against the Weapon directly to save Midgar.

-Something small I really like: when Tifa says, “can we do it?” to Cloud, I was expecting him to give some rah-rah “They’re counting on us! We can do it!” thing, but his response is more muted than that.

-Basically, it’s “Dunno. Let’s try and do our best.” It fits the game’s tone really well.

-I tried running into the Weapon just as I did to fight the Emerald Weapon.



-…It didn’t really work out. LOL

---

Midgar

-Can’t get into the city. The guard dropped the key on an excavation tour, so I guess I have to find it there.

-What now? Just wait for Weapon to make landfall?

-Here she comes.



---

Next time: Diamond Weapon.