Monday, May 11, 2015

FFVII – Part 67: Gods and Clods

Summary: We face the daunting Ultimate Weapon a few times, but lose track of her. The party then returns to Midgar. First through the sewers, then emerging to take down Gya-ha-ha and Kya-ha-ha… ahem, Heidegger and Scarlet – in the bizarrely named Proud Clod.


Overworld

-Lol – I love that the pilot has been “leveling up” as we go.

-Um. Hi? Has this dragon always been just hovering here?

-ULTIMA WEAPON? I was not expecting that and think I’ll probably regret this.



-Bahamut and Neo-Bahamut both hurt her, but Leviathan does nothing.

-She’s also only attackable at range. Ice 3 works well, melee attacks do not.

-Oh, that’s it. She’s not dead, but she flew away. I’m guess this is gonna be a Doomgaze type thing where I have to keep finding her and wearing her down.

-Unlike FFVI’s Doomgaze (I think that was the creature’s name), I actually see Ultima’s sprite flying and can pursue. I crash against her a few times and eventually engage in combat again.

Minor note: I like the summon effects, but they take a bit too long. Once I’ve seen em a couple of times, I wish they’d do an abbreviated version.


In pursuit.

-Won that second encounter, but saved and rested afterwards. Lost her trail, and can’t find her. Grr.

---

Midgar

-We parachute into the slums.



-Another btw: this has to be the slowest falling meteor in the history of meteors. Is it just waiting for Sephiroth’s final say-so? And if so, why hasn’t he given it? Probably just video game physics.

-Heidegger’s after us, so Cait Sith has us go underground.

---

Sector 8, Underground

-The music is super intense.

-Couple of chests down here I can’t quite seem to reach.

-NO

-IS THAT



-Yes. It’s Behemoth. One of those “how you know shit’s getting real” signals in the series. This one’s not as savagely hard as his FFIII and FFIV counterparts thankfully.

-Got to a winding tunnel. Tried heading back a few areas, but I get the sense that doing me is getting me nowhere.

-The Turks finds us. Dang.

-Elena’s reluctant to fight, but the Turks have a job to do.



-I get the option to engage or not. I choose to not.

-Reno agrees to not fight! He thinks Shinra’s actually finished, and walks off. Rude and Elena follow shortly after.

-Fork in the road. I’m a lefty, so I choose left.

---

Sector 8

-Back above ground.

-And a giant something is coming for us…

-“Gya-ha-haaa!” It’s Heidegger and Scarlet, controlling what looks like a Weapon.


”Kya-ha-haa!”

-LOL THEY NAMED IT “THE PROUD CLOD” WTF SCARLET

-It’s a two-part boss, with Proud Clod and Jamar Armor.



-This guy has a metric ton of hitpoints. I’ve been doing massive damage to both of them, but especially Proud Clod, and still the fight goes on.

-Got it!! And won something called “Ragnarok” in the process.

-Jiminy Christmas! Cloud’s new Ragnarok does ginormous damage. (As I suppose the name implies.)

-Just tried out Cloud’s new limit, “Finishing Touch.” It creates a tornado that sweeps away all the enemies in a one shot kill.

-More and more of these materia keep getting “born.” Not exactly sure what that means beyond that they hit master level, but I’m going to head back to that guy in the small cave who said something about large materia in case he helps.

-Fighting these huge tanks, with four parts and lots of HP, but I discovered that if I take out the bottom part first, the whole thing dies. The downside is that I seem to get way less xp and gil.

---

Next time: the Mako Cannon.