Monday, October 6, 2014

FFV – Part 40: Bowser’s Keep

Summary: We take the fight to Exdeath! The party goes to his castle, fights his way up (with a little help from the now late Galuf and Kelger), and faces Gilgamesh.


Overworld

-Ok. Let’s go take down Exdeath. For Galuf.

-Oh, right… Bal lost their king. Hail Queen Krile!

---

Exdeath’s Castle

-All our guards that were beating down his door before are knocked down. Exdeath came back here in force, stronger than ever with the crystals behind him.

-Going up.

-ALL OF KRILE’S JOB SPRITES ARE REALLY CUTE

-Nice! Learned the blue spell “White Wind,” a solid heal. Now my Blue Magic arsenal has a nice mix of debuff and heal.

-I’m stuck on the third floor. Been wandering around here a bit, but can’t find secret doors or whatever.

-OH! Now Bartz acknowledges that we’re stuck. Krile sees past it. It’s an illusion of Exdeath’s.

-Krile: “Grandpa, give me strength…” Urk.

---

Werewolf Town (can’t remember the name)

-We flash over to Kelger in bed. He gets the bad news about Galuf. He himself is dying, and he is the last of the original Dawn Warriors.

-GALUF APPEARS TO HIM HI GALUF.



Gives Kelger some message.

-He and his fellow werewolves will (somehow?) break the illusions!

-With that dying wish, Kelger dies. Bye Kelger

---

Exdeath’s Castle

-The illusion is breaking.

-HOLY SHIT!! Exdeath’s castle is RIDICULOUS.


Where else would someone who unironically says “mwa-ha-ha” choose to live?

It’s hyper-villainy, and really reminds me of Bowser’s worlds in Mario 3. There’s fire, lava, skulls, rolling fog, the works.


Bowser’s world.

-“Black Warlock” just cast Death on me. WANT. Can’t seem to learn it though.

-Glad I have Find Passages equipped here. Lots of short-cuts, and I have to wade through lava for a bow.

-A few insta-kill spells the farther I get.

-I still love Lenna using !Animal. I get to send squirrels to attack these horrifying monsters. Lenna is TOTALLY Squirrel Girl.


Get ‘em, Tippy-Toe!

Though still no idea what that bloody Mysidian Rabbit does.

-Save point. Nerves high.

-I like that the floors here are short and compact.

-Wow. Wish I tried this earlier. “Float” works to avoid lava damage.

-Yellow Dragons. With the WORST SPELL IN ALL OF FF. “Lightning.” It’s not too bad here, but this spell absolutely demolished me back in FFIII.

-10th floor is filled with traps. Geomancer mode: activate!

-Just ported over to an orb of some kind. Hm.

-It’s a summoner monster: “Carbuncle.” Really? That’s who I’m summoning? Carbuncle?



I mean, he’s a brutal monster, with massive defense, evade, and reflect. But he gets absolutely whomped by !Gaia. Geomancer is working overtime for me here.

-11th floor. An empty chest in the middle of the room. Exdeath is trolling me.

-Delightfully, I was wrong. The person trolling us with the empty chest was GILGAMESH!



---

Next time: we face the glorious Gilgamesh.