Friday, October 31, 2014

FFVI – Part 3: Not Normal

Summary: We spend some time in the tutorial room learning about FFVI’s new mechancis and then move onto Figaro. We meet the too-slick-by-half King Edgar. Terra :(



Tutorial Room

-Wandered around Narshe and found the tutorial room. So many cool mechanics I learned about!

-Reflect is short duraction, but won’t reflect “Lore” spells – though not sure what those are yet.

-“Runic” sounds situationally awesome, and “Trance” sounds great for boss fights.

-I’m super, super curious about “Dance” and “Rage.” One of the moogles had that ability and it caused repeated cave-ins.


”How to Tell If You Are a Zombie,” by Random Tutorial Guy #7.

Reflect blocks each spell only once per cast. Does this mean that if Reflect blocks Blizzard once, then the second time someone casts Blizzard on that target it goes through? Or does that second Blizzard dissipate the Reflect entirely?

-“Critically wounded characters may occasionally perform powerful, hidden techniques.” WOW! Now I’m relaly curious if those special “desperation” moves vary by character. I’ll bet they do – like, a brawler probably does some badass melee attack, and a caster probably summoners comets or some shit.

-HUZZAH! They continued something I loved in FFIV that was dropped for some reason in FFV: I can now temporariy skip a character’s turn in combat without losing that turn. Like, if two characters are ready to act, I can switch between them for strategic purposes. This would have been really nice to have when I was using a mime in FFV.

-Relics sound like they’ll add a ton of variety and versatility to the game.

---

Narshe

-Tried going back to the mines, but the door we came out of was sealed.

-Tried going into town but guards saw me. Time to go to…


Figaro Figaro Figaro Fiiiiiigaro!

---

Overworld

-The starter enemies in the past have been mostly goblins (though the “Leg Eater” in FFII was pretty cool), but this is the best: “Leaf Bunny.” SO FEARSOME


I laugh now, but I just know the final dungeon will have some Monty Python style Satanic Leaf Bunny, “Emperor Gestahl’s Personal Bunnyguard” or something who will one-shot my party.

-Huuuuge quality of life bonus: the overworld map now is always visible in the corner. I don’t have to press start to see it every time.

-Is it worth attempting to steal from non-humanoids, or are humanoids the only enemies that ever have stuff to steal?


Random note: I like the “Window Pattern” configuration option.

-A guy with a sweet hat and a chocobo stop me from entering a cave to South Figaro.

-Found chocobo stables. Spent three straight minutes pressing “A” near the chocobo to make it squeak. Kweh kweh! But 100gil for a ride? Screw that.

---

Figaro Castle

-They know Locke. I guess this is Returner HQ.

-Noble music. Very… castle-y.

-This place has an enginer room in the basement. Airship soon maybe?

-OH HELLLLLL NO. I found the Figaro prison. I can’t talk to any of the prisoners, but among all the human prisoners, I very clearly see a familiar face.


EAT A BAG OF HELL, LONE WOLF.

I bet he’s Lone Wolf from FFV, and there’s no fucking way I’m letting that jerk out of prison if ever given the chance. God I hate him.

-The castle has fans/rotor-things in the parapets. Nice steampunky touch. Style over functionality, I say – like the random pointless mashers in “Galaxy Quest.”

-A guard hints at the castle’s technology, but then stops himself because it’s top secret. IT’S AIRSHIPS, I’M WISE TO YOUR GAME FF

-We meet the king. He seems to be a “Lady’s Man” type.

-Wait. He’s an imperial ally AND Locke’s friend? Like, trying to stay neutral, or pulling some Lando Calrissian double-cross stuff?


King Edgar.

-He’s trying to be all smooth, but Terra gets that he values her magic as well. He tries a line like “I value your beauty first, the face that I might have a chance with you second, and I guess your magic as a distant third,” but Terra doesn’t care.


Real smooth.

-Really interesting reaction from Terra. She’s not into Edgar’s advances, but what’s interesting is that she feels weird for not feeling interested. Like her magic makes her not normal, whereas if she were “normal” she’d feel differently.

Nooo Terra! Feel whatever you feel - do what you do.

Poor Terra :(

-I now get to control her.

---

Next time: wandering round Figaro Castle.