Saturday, October 18, 2014

FFV – Part 51: Gogo

Summary: Some new legendary weapons. World travel on Boko, and a reunion with Syldra! Sort of. We then pick up a new job from the Sunken Tower of Walse, courtesy of the strange and dramatic mimic, Gogo.

 
Sealed Castle of Kuza

-No Shield Dragons still on the way here, but we run into Exdeath’s Soul.



WTF. Did he do the mortality-for-Void trade and leave his soul here?

-Three new weapons: Assassins’s Dagger, Yoichi’s Bow, and Apollo’s Harp.

---

Overworld

-Around the world with Boko! It’s a bit tricky finding the right path, but I manage it after scouting ahead in my airship. The guy in Phantom Village rewards me with a Mirage Vest.

-On the way west, I found a way to the top of the Istory Falls (I think?), and found a Magic Lamp! It’s an item that lets me summon a random monster in combat. Nice.

-Explored a bit on the pink chocobo, but didn’t see anywhere new to land. I did find a new cave!

-Oh, never mind. It’s just the backdoor to the pirate cove.

---

Pirate Cove

-WHAT

-SYLDRA’S ALIVE

-Or… wait, what?

-I was wrong. She’s just a spirit. Faris can see her, and so can Krile.


Of course Krile gets along with Ghost!Syldra.

Syldra wants to help!

-Yes! Syldra joined us as a summon. Glad to have her back. Tried her in combat, and she looks really cool. Breathes a combination of lightning and ice.

-Let’s head underwater.

---

Under the Sea

-Found a tower under here.

-CRAP.

---

The Sunken Tower of Walse

-It’s our old friend, the Tower of Walse. But since it’s underwater, we have to hold our breath now while exploring. We get a seven minute timer.

-I hate timers.

-The monsters here are shrouded and unnamed, but one is clearly an Omega-style mech.



Really tough defenses to break through.

-Bottom floor of tower.

-There’s a crystal shard down here still! Oh man, new job new job new job…

-Someone threatens us. Who? They’re very… not sure of the word, very theatrical in their threats.

-It’s someone named “Famed Mimic Gogo.”



I guess this is the person who was screwing with us back in Carwen. This has all the trappings of a boss fight, but the music is goofy as hell, so I’m not sure whether it’s serious or not.

-Not sure of Gogo’s gender, now that I think about it. She’s wrapped up in a mess of different clothes that makes it tough to make even an educated guess.

-She says she’ll imitate all my attacks and spells. This may be tricky.

-OW!!! SHE’S A (SORT OF) LIAR. I thought this would be like FFIV behemoths, where you attack hard, and they retaliate hard. I attacked for a few hundered damage, and she punched me back for THOUSANDS of points of damage. I tried casting “Comet” for a few hundred damage, she retaliated with Meteor for 9,999.

-Hm.

-!Scan doesn’t work. Doesn’t show her vulnerabilities or anything. All my attempts to probe for weaknesses are met with swift and resounding death.

-Ok. Not working. Will try a different tactic. Since this is one of FF’s mirror-style fights, I’ll try what worked back in FFIV during Cecil’s ordeal: nothing. The problem is that Faris is Berserk, and my last saved state is the start of combat. I wait til Gogo kills her, then try “Defending” with each attempts, but time runs out.

-Back to my prior saved state at the start of the dungeon.

-Side note: so far, I am disappoint in Assassin’s Blade. It only rarely does its insta-kill thing.

-Back at Gogo. Let’s try Operation: Sit On Our Asses.

-…waiting… Epic staredown going on.

-SUCCESS!!

GOGO: “Perfect! Lovely! You see me doing nothing, and are copying that nothing yourselves! Rather… you’re doing perfectly nothing, perfectly!” LOLOL

-She gives us her blessing and then leaves. 50 ABP??? Thanks!

-NEW JOB: MIME! Woohoo!

---

Next time: maybe try for the final tablet.