Monday, October 13, 2014

FFV – Part 46: Undead Chicken

Summary: Hiryu brings us Lenna, but she’s possessed. Exdeath gloats. We exorcise the demon and kill it. We wander a bunch, and after being mocked by a skeleton with chicken noises for some reason, we eventually find the airship.



Guardian Tree

-In the grove east of the desert…

-A wind drake flew to meet us here. He drops an unconscious Lenna next to us. The drake saved her from the destruction of Tycoon. Bravo, Hiryu!

-what the fuck

LENNA: “… … … This body is mine!”

-Dammit. Exdeath pops in.


High on the list of people I don’t want having access to “the Rift”: Exdeath.

“Beast sealed between dmensions for a millennium… Go forth, Melusne.” I guess that’s who’s possessing her.

-Possessed!Lenna starts kicking our ass. Exdeath mwa-ha-has a bit, then leave us to die. He’s going for Ghido! NOOO!!

-DAMMIT. HE JUST DESTROYED THE LIBRARY WITH THE VOID, THE SAME WAY HE DID WITH TYCOON.

-Hiryu attacks Possessed!Lenna, expelling the demon at the cost of his own life. Hiryu Boss fight!

-Wow. Ok, this is part of the benefit of playing the entire series, because I’m getting MAJOR Cloud of Darkness (the FFIII final boss) vibes from Melusne.


Melusne, FFV.


Cloud of Darkness, FFIII.

Coincidence? After the events of FFIV:TAY, I don’t know if that words holds any meaning in the FF-verse.

-Melee attacks do negligible damage. Luckily, I have Krile’s blue magic. She uses “Off-Guard” a couple of times to destroy Melusne’s defenses, and now Bartz’s dragoon and Faris’ berserk ninja pound through. Victory!

-Lenna’s okay. Whew. She better be. On we go!

---

Overworld

-Yup. The library is definitely a black hole surrounded by water now.


The void where used to exist the Library of the Ancients.

Were Cid and Mid in there too? I can’t remember, but as with Lenna, I can’t imagine them getting killed off without a proper goodbye. Hell, in FFIV, Cid exploded a bomb while jumping out of an airship.

-Two possible next targs: the next tablet (“island shrine, kissed by wind”) or Bahamut. I’ll see which I can reach, since I seem to be ringed by mountains.

-Yeah, still blocked on the east.

-When all else in FF fails, wander.

-Yay! West of the desert, I found the town of Moore.

---

Town of Moore

-A shed is haunted. Hm.

-WHOA! Found a secret vendor!

-…or not. Not a vendor. He has two crates. Says I should take the left if I’m brave, right if I’m a coward. I’m really curious now. It’s a bit confusing, since I don’t know if he means his left or my left, but I’ll assume they mean my (the player’s) left.

-I pick brave, and get a “Brave Blade.” Cool!

-wtf. The vendor just turned into a skeleton, made chicken noises at me, and walked away.


Readers, I present you: Final Fantasy V in a nutshell.

-This game is so weird.

-Interesting! It’s a two-handed weapon that loses its effectiveness when I flee from combat. Really cool mechanic.

-Not much else in town.

---

Overworld

-Wander, wander…

-Nothing new in Karnak.

-Looped all over. Getting lots of xp, but also a bit frustrated. I want to progress! What am I missing?

-…oh. Lol. I found the airship. THEY EVEN SHOWED ME THE AIRSHIP AT THE END OF THE PYRAMID DUNGEON. I’m such a dunkus sometimes.

---

Next time: Airship time!