Friday, October 17, 2014

FFV – Part 50: Three Little Pigs

Summary: The Great Sea Trench. We meet dwarves, and fight off a family of evil pig monsters to get the third tablet. We then head to the surface and find the Phantom Village.



Great Sea Trench

-We dive down in the submarine, and there’s a bunch of white dots on the map indicating cities and caves. We head to the nearest one, and it’s the Great Sea Trench.

-The cave is guarded by the same pair of gargoyles as prior dungeons, which leads me to believe this is probably where the third tablet lies.

-The first monster is “Unknown.”



The green spew is a nice touch.

Strong defenses. I think they’re undead, since Lenna (who has the legendary holy staff) obliterates them, does about 5,000 damage with her basic attack.

-Lava flows down here below the ocean’s floor, completing the poem (“Beneath the ocean’s floor, engulged by flames…”).

-Now MORE “Unknown” monsters, but they look different. All these are awesomely gross-looking.



-Each “Unknown” sprite has a different gimmick. Telltales (giant beating heart Unknowns) can poison me. Pus Fountains (spewy green belcher Unknowns) cast Possess, which kills them and makes one of my characters disappear from combat. Bone Chandeliers (the skeletons tied together hanging from the wall) cast Doom, putting my characters on a 30 second clock to death.

-I like the idea that these monsters are so ancient and so deep beneath the earth’s surface that they haven’t been named.

-DWARVES! HI! They look exactly like the ones from FFIV.


LALI-HO!

-Only five? What happened to the rest of them?

-Some are digging a tunnel around the world. Cool!

-If I take a magic lamp back somewhere, its power gets replenished. I don’t think I’ve seen one yet, but good to know.

-At the end of the tunnel, a dwarf says we’re below a forest. At first I think he means the Forest of Moore, but he pulls up a minimap and it shows we’re actually below the former Crescent Isles, below some dinky copse. Hm.

-The Pus Fountains only seem to cast Possess in retaliation to physical damage. The Bone Chandeliers are the easiest because outside of their 30 second clock (which never goes down all the way), they don’t seem to really hurt us.

-A lot of wall-switch puzzles. I feel like I may be missing secrets…

-Found the tablet!

-“Oink, oink…” wtf

-It’s the sprites that Exdeath sent after me. I thought it was an alien, but apparently it’s a pig.

-Two similar sprites of different colors pop up as well. Brothers?



-Oh. You got to be kidding me. It’s the three little pigs.

-I repeat: the boss monsters Exdeath sent after us are the three little pigs.


SUCH BIZARRE SPRITES.

-Really tough fight. When one dies on its own, it comes back shortly after and they do Delta Attack. (Interestingly, this is the same name of the attack that the three sisters used in FFIV before Barbariccia.) It does a small amount of damage to one of my characters and petrifies.

-Painful fight, but Krile is the last one standing. She knocks them all out with group Firage.



GO KRILE GO!!

-Got the tablet as well as the Meteor spell. Huzzah! Teleporting out.

---

Overworld

-Went to the forest we were below in the Dwarven Tunnel. I thought it’d be a backdoor to the tunnel, but no luck. It actually is a town.

---

Phantom Village

-What is this place?



WTF WTF WTF

-The town was apparently sucked into the Rift when the world was split 1,000 years ago, and time stopped for them.

-The warlock Enuo traded immortality for the Void’s power. I wonder if Exdeath will try the same trade.

-Someone says they’ll give me something good if I ride around the world on a yellow chocobo. Cool! This mini quest was also in FFIII.

-Found a piano and leveled up my “Piano Skills.” I hope I get a new bard song if I level up my Piano skills high enough.

-Found a purple chocobo! That’ll really help reaching places I couldn’t get to on my airship, since it can land in forests.

-The Phoenix Tower has hidden stairwells and passages.

-Really powerful spells to buy, including Arise, Dispel, Death.

-Creepy. I opened a door in a basement. The screen turned blue, then slammed shut. Hm.

-A dead dragon went to Phoenix Tower and was reborn as a phoenix. …ok. Will I soon face a zombie dragon phoenix? I hope so!

---

Next time: Turn in the third tablet for some more legendary weapons.