Wednesday, October 29, 2014

FFVI – Part 1: Mech Warriors

Summary: The first step on the journey of FFVI. We meet Magitek-armored Biggs, Wedge, and a green haired woman. They march through Narshe and meet an esper, who communes (or something?) with green-hair and banishes Wedge and Biggs.


A List of the Things I Know About FFVI

-It’s very well-regarded.

-I know that in FFVI and FFVII Sephiroth and Kefka are things that exist, but not sure who exactly they are or which is in which game.

-It comes after Final Fantasy V because math.

---

Introduction

-SUPER dramatic title music. Kind of spooky, and images of thunder crashing.


Bring it.

-We pan over a cliffside while text fills us in. An ancient War of the Magi decimated the world, and this is now 1,000 years later.

-This town looks really steampunky.



So long after the magic war, technology (iron and the like) have replaced magic.

-Now someone (BIG BAD?) wants to use magic to conquer the world.

-Shot of a factory or iron tower of some sort, with a fairly industrialized-looking city in the background.



So much metal!

-“Could anyone be foolish enough to repeat that mistake [of using magic for conquest]?” My guess: probably.

---

Cliffside

-WEDGE AND BIGGS! HI! All are in mech warrior things, like SCVs in Starcraft or power loaders from “Aliens.”



-That must be what’s silhouetted on the game logo.

-They’re with a green-haired woman who’s probably not Rydia. They’re chasing an esper(?).

-Biggs: “They wouldn’t have let us use her unless they were confident that the info was good.” Use her?

-Oh. Not!Rydia is a “witch” who fried 50 Magitek armored soldiers in 3 minutes. Holy shit.

-“With that thing on her head, she’a mindless puppet.” I no longer like you, Wedge and Biggs.

---

Credits

-The credits roll as the three Magitek warriors march across a snowy landscape. Really cinematic intro, with the cold open followed by credits.



-THIS MUSIC SO GOOOOOOD

-I want to listen to this music while I stride purposefully through a meadow with the wind whipping back my flowing locks of hair, sword by my side. I haven’t fenced in a couple of years, and I have short hair, but I don’t care. That’s what this music makes me want to do.

---

Narshe

-They reach the steampunk town. I’m now in control.

-W&B are soldiers, and Not!Rydia is a “Magitek Elite.” The town is called Narshe in my options menu.

-We’re with the “Empire,” and hence probably evil. A town guard attacks us with their puppy. Combat!

-The Magitek armor is ridiculously powerful. I love this class/job already.

-Bio Blast is my favorite. Trippy green and yellow lights.

-New battle mechanic: “Surrounded.” Basically I get pincer attacked. Interesting.

-I can’t see my party’s max health, just current health. I hope this is just temporary. If we never see max health, healing’s gonna be a PITA.

---

Narshe Mines

-Bio Blast heals Were Rats. Good to know.

-First boss: Ymir.

-MORE AWESOME MUSIC THIS BOSS MUSIC

-FHFHDJKLSFHDJKLSFHDJKLSHFDJKLS

-It’s a Lightning Whelk. Similar mechanics to Mist Dragon in FFIV. Don’t attack when it hides, and we win.

-Past it is the esper. It looks like a giant frozen chicken.



-It starts glowing. Seems to be talking to Not!Rydia. It either kills or banishes Biggs and Wedge. Not!Rydia still hasn’t said anything. The frozen chicken esper starts to erupt in flashing light and lightning.

-wtf is happening

-Fade out. Not!Rydia wakes up in a bed.

---

Next time: Not sure, but hopefully we’ll get a name for Not!Rydia at least.