Saturday, October 11, 2014

FFV – Part 45: Are You My Mummy?

Summary: Some overworld wandering, but the lion’s share of this session is in the WONDERFUL Pyramid of Moore. It’s got everything I could have asked for from a pyramid dungeon – snakes, flowing sand, trap doors, mummies, the works. We get the first tablet. Oh, and in the process, we wake Bahamut. Oops.

---

Overworld Exploration
-Quick stop at Surgate, north of the library, but nothing new or interesting here.

-Not sure when I’ll get Lenna back, so I’m going to try to convert Krile to something healy. Red Mage time.

-Mechanics question: why is Lenna’s !Animal Nightengale heal so much stronger than Bartz’s? They each have their Ranger job at the same level.

-Stop in Karnak. Not much new here either beyond one thing: talk of dwarves. Everyone’s interested in dwarves, so I guess I’ll see some soon. Lali-ho!

I would be very, very happy to see Luca again.

-No way to get to the Void where Tycoon used to be to check on Lenna.

-Wow. I am a major league dunkus. I just now realized that I could use equip the Healing Staff, “attack” with it, and the target of the attack gets healed. Huzzah! Great for grinding.

---

Guardian Tree
-Just east of the desert, we find a copse with the Guardian tree. It’s started to revive and grow back. Nice as this is, it causes our party to reminisce about all the things they lost that will never grow back.


Thanks for that, Lenna. Totally needed that punch in the heart.

---

Desert of Shifting Sands
-We enter from the east this time rather than the north.

-The sand has stopped flowing. This is good because it makes traversing the desert easier. It’s bad because it’s a sign that the wind and earth have been losing strength after the breaking of the crystals.

---


Pyramid of Moore

-We try the door that blocked us before. It opens this time, but two gargoyles stop us. Boss time!

-They don’t hit that hard, but have a WoW-Core Hound mechanic where they have to die about the same time I think. It was tough since I only have melee damage and not group magic damage with my current set-up, but succeeded.

-A Sealed Tome page drops entering. Or maybe we just read what we already have? Pretty confused on this, but okay. Into the pyramid.

-Cool monsters and backdrop here! Fits well with the aesthetic.


Does it look to anyone else like Lenna is breaking the third wall and staring at the camera?

-Lots of traps and puzzles.


Snakes! Why’d it have to be snakes?

-A sarcaphogus door, guarded by a Grand Mummy. This is SO COOL. It was guarding a “Cursed Ring.” I remember back in “Dragon Warrior” on the NES, there were cursed items, like a belt and maybe a ring. If you equipped them, they hurt you somehow and you couldn’t physically take them off. Those sucked. So I’m apprehensive about putting this on.

-BUT YOLO! I put it on. It gives a massive stat boos, at the cost of putting “Doom” on the wearer to kill them after 50 seconds. Don’t love it.

-SO MANY TRAPS. HAVE I YET SAID THAT I LOVE THIS?

-Oh wow. This floor has all these robots roaming around that look like Omega from FFIV:TAY.


Roaming robots. Thank God Freddy Fazbear’s not among them.

They’re not Omega, which was a brutally hard boss, but they are “Mecha Heads.” I hope we don’t get any Voltron bullshit where we run into Mecha Body or Mecha Toes or whatever.

-Random monster, Sekhmet. After beating him: “You seem to have defeated me, but my brother in the tower will…” Damn. I wish I knew more about Egyptian mythology. Curious who his brother is.

-Disappearing floor puzzle. Whee! I suck at it, but it’s fun anyway.

-Bard is my all-star job here on Krile, since Requiem decimates many of the undead mobs we face for free.

-Got the tablet. Yay!

-…not yay? The ground is shaking. The platform elevates and raises us up to the top outside the pyramid. On the tablet itself: “The Dragon King, Bahamut…”

-WHAT

-WTF

-We zoom out to an overhead view of a peninsula. Which CRUMBLES AND SINKS. From the water beneath it emerges Bahamut, and he is GINORMOUS.


Bahamut rises from the deep.

My deep and abiding love for titanic monsters is sated. Thank you, game.

-So not ready for this fight, so I’m thanksful when Bahamut says he’ll “await us at the summit of North Mountain.” Not now. Whew.

-Airship sighting.

---

Next time: We head towards the second tablet.