Saturday, October 25, 2014

FFV – Part 58: The Winning Spirit

Summary: We meet Shinryu, nee Nova Dragon. The Rift gets more woodsy. Mind Flayers. We fight Necrophobe, and are saved by the sacrifice of Gilgamesh, of all people.


The Rift – Last Floor

-More monsters, but nothing too bad so far. No more King Behemoths. Just some gargoyle reskins, “Belphegors.”

-Worst. Treasure. Ever. I opened a chest, and instead of an elixir or magic armor, out popped the horror that rent the skies a thousand years ago with Omega. Shinryu.


Shinryu says hello with tidal waves.

-Shinryu was in FFIV: The After Years, but under a different name. There, he was called Nova Dragon. He destroys me just as fast here with 8k damage off the bat. No thanks, Broseph.

-Have I mentioned that I hate Mindflayers? Ever since they first made their appearance in the Marsh Cave of FFI, they’ve been a thorn in my side. Here they cast Mind Blast to drain and sap and paralyze my party over and over.


Welcome to Nightmareville. Population: four Mind Flayers.

I survive, but it’s annoying as hell.

-Starting to see weird brown growths in the crystalline environment.



-I think they’re roots. Please, PLEASE say we’re going to see Exdeath in full tree mode.

-We see a green light. Necrophobe: “This light… I will never give it to you!” Huh?

-BOSS TIME! The boss is Necrophobe, surrounded by four floating “barrier” monsters. He’s invincible until the barriers die.



-Really tough fight. The barriers all have Reflect and cast hard-hitting spells.

-Finally killed the barriers.

-NECROPHOBE: “Have a taste of my true power! It’s all you can eat!” LOLOL of COURSE Exdeath’s minions must be skilled in the art of trashtalk.

-We’re doing okay, bu then puppies everywhere burst into happy yips and spontaneous playtime. Why?

-BECAUSE BIG BRIDGE MUSIC RIPS IN.



Gilgamesh shows up!

-GIL: “Made it! Well, hello there! Surprised to see me? If I’d just left you in the lurch, I’d look like a jerk for all of history! Thought I’d let that happen?” [Yes. I really did think we’d seen the last of him.] “As if!”

-Necrophobe starts taunting him, but Gil will not be outsassed. “Just try it, Baldy! You cannot even hold a birthday candle to the blazing flame of my winning spirit!”

DFJKLSFHDFHLK THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER DSHKFDSJLHJ

GIL: “Krile! Your grandfather… he was a pretty strong guy!” You’re damn right.
KRILE: “Grandpa…”

GIL: “And you, Faris! You must fall in love or something and try acting a little like a woman, if you still know how!”
FARIS: “Hey…” I’ll admit. I kind of lol’d at how Gilgamesh can still clearly be a jackass.

GIL: “Lenna! Always so selfless towards animals… never lose that pure heart!”
LENNA: “…”

GIL: “And Bartz. I wanted to fight you one more time, mano-a-mano. You have admirable companions. I envy you.”
BARTZ: “Gil…”

-I’m so happy we get to see this, worried about what this speech implies.

-Gilgamesh SELF-DESTRUCTS, killing himself and taking the Necrophobe with him.

-Great. Right after how Gilgamesh on par with Galuf for being my favorite character, he gets offed. Hey, game: I have no more favorite characters. Faris is still my second favorite character, with nobody replacing Galuf and Gilgamesh. Please don’t kill her.

-I want to revise my thoughts from last time. I still don’t believe Gilgamesh is altruistic, but I no longer believe he’s as selfish as I thought. But his ethical core isn’t intrinsic; he doesn’t do what’s right just because it’s right, and still doesn’t seem to care about saving the world. He wants to help his friends.

Part of what I like about FFV over FFIV is how relatable these motivations are. In our intro the game, Bartz didn’t immediately help Lenna and Galuf. Boko had to convince him. Bartz isn’t a noble hero. Neither is Faris, who was/is a literal pirate. Krile wants her grandpa. Galuf and Lenna… well, they’re nobler, but even so I believe they care about their loved ones – Krile and Hiryu and King Tycoon and Faris – far more than “saving the world.”

-Go well into that starry night, Gilgamesh. Even in death, nobody holds a birthday candle to the blazing flame of your winning spirit.

-After Necrophobe dies, the light he was protecting turns into a save point. Rest time.

---

Next time: further into the Rift.