Sunday, September 28, 2014

Blizzard - Week 2: Setting Pace

This week, I started up in the two Blizzard games, World of Warcraft and Diablo III.  They are fundamentally different games, and immersive in fundamentally different ways.  I love them both.




Diablo III

My new wizard here got up to level 46 in Act III.  Very quick leveling, and it's on Expert difficulty so the experience flows.



This is so far a pretty mindless game.  I enjoy the planning stages, mixing my skills for new set-ups, putting on Pandora (currently enjoying a Maroon 5 playlist), and clicking away.  Disintegrate and Archon are my two favorite skills, but also messing around with an Arcane Mines-centric kite build.

The wizard class I rolled is pretty great.  Fast and zappy.  I played Diablo III a bit when it released, but the changes they made to its loot system of late and to the difficulty settings make a world of difference.  I've found a bunch of legendary items so far, and the game just feels very complete.

---

World of Warcraft

I tried the goblin warlock that the RNG pulled.  I did.  It was fine.  Sort of.

Not really.  I'm just not a fan of the goblins.  The whole "capitalists of Azeroth" thing is funny enough, but I don't enjoy it.  And I also didn't like the warlock class, with pet management and metamorphosis and the whole thing.  Just not my cup of tea.

I found myself rushing.  I wasn't reading quest text, I was rushing the kills, and just not stopping to smell the roses along the way.  It's hard for me to remember that this is a side thing.  I was a hardcore raider in WoW, but Final Fantasy is my main game, and even that's pretty casual.  As much as I game, I'm not now the same person I was.

So I changed.




I rerolled as an orc warrior.  That appealed to me.  Very classic.  I randomized all the other elements - gender and appearance - and am pretty happy with the character I got.  She's kinda badass?  I know some people have to be their real life gender, but I don't quite get that.  I guess it's possible it has something to do with being bi in real life (oh, yeah: I'm bisexual if that matters) but I really doubt that has anything to do with it.

Really trying to go slowly.  Primarily focusing on mining, blacksmithing, and leveling up my army of battle pets.  The quests and combat are fun too, but almost incidental.  I'll fish, cook, and really soak up the flavor stuff.  Do what seems fun.

It's strange, but I see this as mental training for my fitness in a way.  If I rush through and just try to crank out workouts and calorie counts, I won't last.  I'll be so busy hurrying to get to the next step because I don't like the current step that I don't realize the next step is no better.  Really trying to dwell in THIS step.

No rush.  Right?