Friday, September 19, 2014

FFV – Part 25: Big Bridge


Summary: We escape from Castle Exdeath for one of the most wondrous sequences in the series: the Big Bridge. The combat wasn’t anything special, but two amazing things lift it up: the music and Gilgamesh. We meet up with Krile, but a force field from the castle knocks us away from her to the land of Gloceana.


Castle Exdeath

-Pretty smooth and easy escape from the castle. Just a few tarantulas to kill.

-I feel a bit underwhelmed so far with the Chemist, Dancer, and Dragoon. If dragoon is like prior FFs, I’ll need a dragoon weapon to make it good, but the other two just feel… meh. Samurai definitely has a niche with Zeninage, and possibly more stuff I’ll discover as I level it up.

---

Isle of Castle Exdeath

-Once I got out of the castle, I tried exploring the island, but not much to see.

-From the outside, Castle Exdeath looks exactly like the crystal palace on the moon in FFIV.

---

Big Bridge

-THE MUSIC HOLY SHIT




-It makes me want to fly, or sprint, or ride my bicycle at full speed downhill or something. This game keeps blowing me away.

FDLFDJKLSFS GOD IT’S SO GOOD HDFJS FHDJKLSA

-The monsters here are bizarre.


Perhaps Exdeath employs flying murder kitties and chivalrous Segways, but I suspect these are more Gilgamesh’s minions.

-Gilgamesh guards the end of the bridge. He was apparently waiting for us?



-He’s the STRANGEST villain this side of the Joker, but doesn’t seem nearly as strong or malicious.

-Gilgamesh: “I suppose I misjudged. Fighting all four of you is too much for me.”

During this little “oops, my bad” speech, he casts protect, shell, and haste on himself.



-LOLOL WHAT THE HELL DUDE WHO ARE YOU

-Pretty tough fight, and he uses a dragoon Jump on us which hurts, but we sort of win.

-“Oh, just remembered something. I gotta go!” Um. Ok. See ya soon, Gilgamesh.

-After some more gauntlet running and being attacked by more monsters, we reach the end of the bridge where Krile is waiting for us.

-A red bubble, a barrier, then starts to expand rapidly out from the castle. It knocks us all away, and leaves Krile on the bridge someow. Maybe just just got knocked into a wall.

-WHERE’S GALUF???

-Oh, whew, the whole party is together.

---

Gloceana

-The party lands on a random cliff/hill. Galuf identifies the area as Gloceana, “the back of beyond.” Uh oh.

-Galuf sasses Bartz as he promised. He’s pissed that they thought they had to come!



The three offworlders walk away. Galuf is briefly alone.



Can I say again how much I love how they’ve molded the relationship of these Light Warriors Redux?

-Just saw the overworld map. Holy cow, it’s massive!!

-Immediately hit with creepy mobs.


A gas station for nightmare fuel.

-Lenna’s Chemist leveled up and got the “Mix” ability, but I really don’t like consumable-based skills. Don’t like Ninja’s “Throw,” didn’t like the archery abilities back in FFII and III that used arrows, don’t like this, but will give it a shot probably.

-…I just got attacked by flying pigs.



-Still no idea what “Mysidian Rabbit” does. Maybe a passive spellpower boost?

-A town lies on the horizon.

---

Next time: the town of Regole.