Monday, September 15, 2014

FFV – Part 21: The Ronkan Ruins

Summary: We get Ramuh, then move through the labyrinthine Ronkan Ruins. “King Tycoon” at the top has us fight a dragon-beastie guarding the crystal.




East of Istory

-I actually started out by following up on a lead from Istory: the thunder-tossing dude in the eastern forest. I thought it was the thunder eidolon, but want to check.

-YES!


Long time no see, Broseph!

I love being able to draw inferences based on prior FF games.

-Success. After beating him, he doesn’t join just by virtue of being defeated. He senses Ifrit with our party, and Ifrit convinces him to join. Really cool to see the eidolons interact.

-I keep calling them eidolons, but I think I just borrowed that from FFIV. Are they gods here? Eidolons? Magical spirits? Dunno.

---

Ronka Ruins

-The first enemy I see is an “Enchanted Fan.” Weird.

-Townspeople in Jachol said this place had lots of traps, so gonna go with Bartz as a Ninja and equip “Find Passages.” Or maybe…. Thief with !Animals and Faris as Ninja with Berserk?

-Uh-oh. Gaia’s “Wind Slash” heals Enchanted Fans. Of course. LOL

-Wait, no! Going to now try Bartz as a Freelancer with Barehanded and Find Passages to see how that works.

-GAH SO MANY CHOICES

-This layout is really confusing.

-Trying Galuf as a Ranger/!Gaia.

-Ooh, treasure room! Let me just walk up to… DAMMIT. Fell through a trap. Going to move Galuf back to Geomancer so he gets the passives “Light Step” and “Find Pits.” This helps me actually go back and get the treasure, dodging each trap. Great treasure! Ancient Sword, Power Armlet, Moonring Blade, 5k gil.

-Hydra!! Maybe just a random encounter.

-One of the monsters reminds me of Futurama’s hypnotoad.


What a weird set of enemies in this place.

-Lenna is mostly a Time and White mage, and doesn’t really have a great normal attack to use. Gonna get her !Animal from the Ranger tree. Nice mix of damage and group healing.

-Still lost.

-I see the King Tycoon lookalike on the fifth floor, but can’t seem to get to him.

-After tromping to the entrance and back, I see I was just being a doofus and missed an obvious pathway.

-Ok, probably boss time. Swapping Galuf to Black and Time magic, and Lenna to White and Time. Gaia hasn’t traditionally been great for me on bosses. Bartz, you’re Monk with… hm, !Mug in case I can steal something cool.

-Chill, dude! King Tycoon (who Lenna and Faris are still excited to see), is all, “No time to speak! Kill that beast guarding the thing!”



And it’s boss time.

-Archaeoaevis. SUPER cool model.



A feathered-winged-dragon-thing. Pretty easy fight.

-OH LOL NM, it then revived.

-Well, yeah, still pretty easy. Died shortly after from melee and some spells. I think there were mechanics to the fight beyond “attack and kill it.” The dialogue before the fight made it seem like he was some guardian of all the crystals who probably changed his vulnerabilities regularly, but charging ahead was enough.

-My reward: “Hero Cocktail.” Um.

-King Tycoon: “Good work! Very good. Mwa-hahahaha…”

-He literally says “mwa-hahahaha.”

-Yeah. My money is still on a mimic or duplicate, but perhaps he’s really King Tycoon being possessed by Exdeath.

---

Next time: most likely the sudden but inevitable betrayal of “King Tycoon.”