Monday, September 15, 2014

Nerd Fitness Academy - Gryffindor (Daily Log, 9/16/14)




The little things.





Bad day today in terms of eating.  I'm not breaking the Nerd Fitness Diet, since this week is about watching what I usually eat and baselining it to start dropping next week, but it still hurts to see.

A friend at work told me about Pottermore the other day.  She told me you get sorted into a house, which sounds fun.  I love those books.  I'm not especially bold or ambitious - I tend to be chill, with moments of cleverness - so figured I'd be popped into Hufflepuff or possibly Ravenclaw.  Instead, I got Gryffindor.

This felt weird.  Part of it was my inner hipster wanting to go into one of the less popular houses, but c'est la vie.  Most of it is just that I don't think of myself in that way.  And I know it's a silly game, but this blog is all about silly games.  They give meaning.  I've always used games to reflect, amplify, and test my personal goals and sense of self.  Same thing here.

So what can I draw from Gryffindor?  Maybe there is something brave and honest in me.  These binge days don't mean I've given up from my goal.  It's a lot to ask to just all of a sudden change what I eat, and hell, Nerd Fitness Academy isn't even ASKING me to do that yet!

Maybe bravery at this early point in my fitness goals comes in constantly writing here.  Looking at the food I eat in as unflattering and honest a way as possible takes a not insignificant amount of courage.  I know that by the way that I shake a bit typing the log up each day.  And go through with it anyway.

Courage in the little things.




---

Food Log

8:30am: English muffin with cream cheese.  Banana. (280 cal)

11:45am: Popcorn basket.  Cup of cream of chicken wild rice soup.  Three pieces of chicken tenders.  Medium amount of fries.  Diet Coke. (1690 cal)

5:15pm: Ruffles chips and spinach dip.  Two Reese's cups.  Chicken parm on ciabatta.  Coke Zero. (2,000 cal)

9:00pm: Small cup of frozen cherries. (80 cal)

Water through day: about one liter.

Total: 4,050 calories.

---

Quest Progress

-Logged my food and calories, progressing on "Nutrition: Growing into Nerd Fitness's Nutrition Level Two" and "Nutrition: Finish Your Food Log."  Hee.  I keep accidentally writing "Finish Your Foot Log."  That sounds gross.

-Walked for six minutes to start "Fitness: Walk for Six Minutes This Week."

-I think I'm going to change my fitness challenge.  I really don't like tea.  Like, at all.  Maybe I'll grow into it.  For now, I'll stick to using either diet caffeine-free iced tea or diet caffeine-free soda as a substitute on some days.

-Had more water today, and finished week two of "Become a Water Drinker: Level One."

-Snacked on fruit twice, progressing in week two of "Become a Fruit-Eater: Level One."