Monday, September 8, 2014

Nerd Fitness Academy - Fitness for Beginners: Part 1

I’ve spent a lot of initial time getting set in the academy on the basics of the NFA mindset and the NFA nutrition path.  It’s time for me to move to the last of the introductory segments: fitness.




“How much weight should I start with?”

The answer provided fits in with the mentality I’ve seen before: start wherever you start, and small or nothing is fine.  The initial language is about how many barbells/dumbells/somethingbells you should lift, but I’m hoping that I don’t have to go to an actual gym.  If I do, I’ll deal, but still.

---

“What happens if I can’t complete the recommended repetitions?”

The answer: if that happens, then I progressed too fast.  This makes me happy to see.  It encourages “leveling” slowly and surely.

---

“Types of Workout Routines”

Basically, I can divide this into splits or full body.  Option A is the “Bro, don’t miss leg day!” method.


Nothing wrong with that, but they suggest Option B for beginners: doing full body routines.

How about rest days?  24-48 hours.  This’ll help me build a routine, and not feel like I have to constantly push.  Rest is encouraged – nay, required!
 

--------- 


#1. Walk to Mordor

One of my favorite books ever is “Fellowship of the Rings.”  The imagery, especially early on, of setting out on a quest through simply walking (and walking and walking) across the hills of Middle Earth is so energizing and refreshing for me.  I haven’t walked much of late, but it’s been one of my favorite activities anyway.


A part of me was excited to see this as the first quest because I thought, “Awesome!  A big ol’ epic quest to start out with!  Walk 1350 miles over the next x months!”  Forgot where I was for a sec.  That’s the unhealthy part of me thinking that, the binge-and-purge side.   

The segment instead goes over how awesome walking is in a variety of ways.  Totally there, broseph.  Totally there.

The actual first quest is, as with so much of NFA, about starting to build good habits.  The quest: walk for five minutes per day, for seven consecutive days.

Oh.  Before going to the next quest, I have to actually start this one.  Dammit NFA!  Stop getting me to actually do fitness, and just let me think about it!  Back in a few.

---

Did it.  God, late summer Minnesota evenings smell and feel FANTASTIC.


#2. Select Your Warm-Up

So much for just trying to touch my toes a couple of times and then going to town. 

NFA provides a few options for beginner warm-up routines, and a more advanced option.  Of course, I can pick and choose elements if I want, but I’ll just go with one of the beginner routines. It’s kind of complex, with 10 separate sets of actions, so I’ll have to record this somewhere easy to see.

Next steps:

-Practice each exercise in the warm-up.  Done!

-Modify any exercises you can’t do or select alternatives.

Done!  I had to modify two of the ten steps.  Instead of two minutes of jumping jacks, I’ll start with one minute.  Instead of 10 “Spiderman steps” per leg, I’ll start with five.  Other that, all set.

I hadn’t heard of Spiderman steps before.  Here’s a video of them.  Note: this is not me.  Just some random Youtuber:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGyfvUTp94M

-Log the modified workout somewhere accessible.  I’ll put it in two places: in my personal notebook, and in case I forget that somewhere, on this post.

#1) 30 seconds march to jog in place.
#2) 1 min jumping jacks
#3) 10 arm circles, each direction
#4) 10 twists, side-to-side
#5) 10 reach down sideways
#6) 10 hip circles with toe touch
#7) 10 moon the sky
#8) 5 Spiderman steps per leg
#9) 10 leg swings per leg
#10) 5 fence steppers per leg

Done!


Next up: select a cool-down routine.