Wednesday, September 24, 2014

FFV – Part 29: Good King Galuf

Summary: Galuf’s Castle, “Bal.” And I do mean Galuf’s castle; he’s the king. It turns out that a wind drake can get around Exdeath’s barrier, but Krile’s is on death’s door. Our next quest: head to the deadly Drakenvale to get some.


Galuf’s Castle

-He’s KING GALUF??? I didn’t know this.

-His soldiers have been decimated by Exdeath’s monsters.

-Bartz is as surprised as I am about KING GALUF.

GALUF: “What, you’re saying I’m not the epitome of kingliness?” LOL

-Oh man, Bartz is trolling KING GALUF so hard. This is beautiful. [Dragon Age: Origins note: Guvf erzvaqf zr n ybg bs jura gur Terl Jneqra svefg yrneaf gung Nyvfgnve vf cevapr. Cevzr gebyyvat zngrevny.]

The theme music going through my head. It’s not thematically apt or anything, just comes to mind when thinking about kings and I like it. Steely Dan’s “Kings”:



-Galuf is pretty uncomfortable with being called “king” by Bartz.

GALUF: You knew me before I was king… just “Galuf” will do fine.
BARTZ: “Just Galuf” it is.

Galuf’s reply?



oh god the bad puns and awful jokes they’re amazing and terrible. It hurts me to see them and yet I can’t look away. Like staring at the sun.

I’m dying. I have to catch my breath. This is the best.

-We need a wind drake to get around the barrier protecting Exdeath’s Castle. We’ll probably have to wait before using Krile’s, since it was pretty tuckered out.

-Krile has a gift for moogle communication. Talk about a great gift.

-Wait… the wind drake is dying?



That sucks!

-We need more dragon grass to save its life. The only place to get some is Drakenvale, from which nobody’s ever gotten out alive. Very excited.

-It’s north of the castle. PAST QUELB, THE WEREWOLF TOWN. Hells yes. Galuf’s world has a town of werewolves. Good or bad? My guess is that they’ll be friendly.

-Learned Teleport from a secret chest. Handy. Also makes me glad I remembered to give Bartz his “Thief” job for the passives while in town.

-The castle is called “Bal.”

-Oooh! A door in the basement is sealed from the inside. I can’t figure out how to get in, but am attacked in that basement by stone statues. Cool concept.



-Krile’s parents were lost/killed in the Gloceana Desert saving a wind drake.

-I wonder if we’ll eventually get some Exdeath backstory.

I kind of doubt it, since the series hasn’t been that big on deep big bads. FFI had Chaos/Garland, with a few sentences of time travel shenanigans. FFII had the Emperor, who had zero backstory. FFIII had basically a force of nature, the Dark Cloud. FFIV had a grumpy Lunarian, Zemus. FFIV: The After Years was the closest we got to serious backstory, with the Creator.

I don’t need anything that extensive for Exdeath, but I hope (and expect!) at least a few sentnces on why he’s all evil/grumpy.

-Off to see the werewolves!

---

Overworld

-Immediately attacked by Abductor, but again dispatch it pretty easily.


I’m reasonably certain now that this is a race of kidnappers, not just one bad apple. Or a family?

-New enemies.


These include “Kornago,” a hypnotoad reskin. We just learned about Kornago’s Guard, something that can help beastmasters, but nothing’s dropped so far from killing these froggies.

-Really trying to use beastmaster, but it’s frustrating. Every time I try to catch a monster, it’s either not weakened enough or already dead. If I ever get a “Tornado” type spell like in FFIV, where it brings the monster automatically down to 1 hp, it’ll be useful for this.

-A weresnake!

-I see the werewolf down, but really want to try catching a Kornago in case it’ll give me its “Guard.”

-Kornago keeps fleeing right as I weaken him enough, which reinforces my belief that catching him will be fruitful.

-FINALLY CAUGHT YOU!! Now let’s try releasing…

-Bleh. Nothing. He popped up on our side briefly with “Pond’s Chorus” but nothing happened.

---

Next time: Quelb, the werewolf town.