Thursday, September 18, 2014

FFV – Part 24: Over the Rainbow

Summary: Rough landing in Galuf’s world. The party gets quickly kidnapped by Exdeath and his buddy/henchman Gilgamesh (GILGAMESH!). Galuf and Krile hold off their assault on Exdeath’s castle, and Galuf flies in on a freaking wind drake to rescue the imprisoned party. Galuf scares the jailer, Gilgamesh, away, to break the three prisoners out.

Galuf’s World

-Crash landing. All okay.

-Attacked by a strange little enemy, “Pao.”

-We’re on an island. There’s nowhere to go, so I try camping with a tent.

-Night cutscene. Conversation between Faris and Lenna – really liking their relationship development.

-But it’s interrupted by a monster who kidnaps them!



LOL – he’s called “Abductor.” I wonder if he’s called that because Bartz sees him and defines him by his abducting, or if he was raised as an abductor. Like, part of some mercenary race whose prime role is to abduct stuff!

-Bartz beats it alone. A treasure chest appears. Yay for treasure!

-Boo for treasure. Opening it leaks out knockout gas. Galuf’s world is not very friendly so far.

---

Prison

-We three waker up in jail.

-EXDEATH!

-THE MUSIC HJDKLSFHDJKLSFHDJKLS

-The “Exdeath, Evil Lord of Death” music that played more subtly when we met Exdeath last time is not subtle at all now, and I love it.


It stomps in, letting us know the warlock is right here in our face. It tells us we’re in his castle, his world, and he’s not fucking around.

-Exdeath’s henchman tells him: “Galuf and the others” made it to the Big Bridge. Likely named after the famous architect, Josiah Big. Clearly, Exdeath has only one option:


No, Mr. Bartz. I expect you to die.

He’s like a Bond villain. No idea what “the giant mirror” could be, but doesn’t matter. This is awesome.

---

Big Bridge

-Krile and Galuf, with some soldiers.

-They see us reflected in the sky. That’s what the giant mirror is! Exdeath is using it to show us in a “one more step and they die” kind of way. It works. Retreat.

-Our impact on the fight so far has been to stop the advance of Galuf’s army. Not the best first impression on Galuf’s world by our intrepid heroes.

-WHAT

-I TOTALLY FORGOT

-I FORGOT HE WAS IN THIS, THIS IS AWESOME THIS IS GREAT

-IT’S GILGAMESH

-He’s working for Exdeath? His brief appearance in FFIV: The After Years made me think he wasn’t really a bad guy, but we’ll see. He’s guarding us.

-Galuf to the rescue! He borrows Krile’s wind drake and flies into the castle.

---

Exdeath’s Castle

-Perspective switch. I’m now playing as Galuf.

-Going to make him a monk with Gaia as an off ability. As a solo fighter, monk is awesome since he can use it to retaliate, and all attacks will be against him.

-Really liking the general castle music here.

-Galuf descends into the castle, and we see other prisoners. They look like grey goblins. This makes me wonder – what is the role of humans in this world? They were dominant in Bartz’s world, but I shouldn’t assume that they’re the dominant race here.

-Come to think of it, I’ve just been assuming Exdeath is human. I guess he could be a werewolf or goblin or some other thing. We haven’t seen him without his helmet on.

-What about gender? I can’t think of it specifically, but I seem to remember Exdeath being referred to as male.

-GALUF FIGHTING GILGAMESH. YES.



-I know almost nothing about Japanese culture/history, but Gilgamesh’s face paint (or maybe that’s just his skin) reminds me of a type of figure I’ve seen in Japanese paintings or theater or something, but can’t put my finger on it.


I don’t think Gilgamesh was expecting Galuf to hit so hard.

-Aaaand Galuf hits Gilgamesh once and Gilgamesh flees. LOL. What a weird dude.

-Galuf frees our party, and they’re tearfully reunited.



-Well… maybe “tearfully reunited” was a bit of an exaggeration, but I know that I personally am happy as hell to have Galuf back.

---

Next time: we blow this pop stand.