Monday, September 22, 2014

FFV – Part 27: Shield Blocked

Summary: The shield dragon. The frigging shield dragon. I try and eventually give up, moving onto more pleasant things, like a chocobo forest.

Kuza, the Sealed Castle

-Tried entering this place again but with my strongest party, but the random encounter with the Shield Dragon killed me.

-And again.

-AND AGAIN HE KEEPS EASILY KILLING ME.

-Ok. Chill.

-Killed me again, but I noticed that when he killed my melees, Bartz and Faris, I lasted much longer.

-Dead again, but I’m now pretty sure he retaliates against physical attacks only with that infuriating “Knock Silly.”

-Trying out purely casters. Two white mages, dancer, time mage.

-Well… died again, but I lasted longer.

-More dying, more testing.




Harmful magic gets reflected, so no Fira/Blizzara/Thundara, let alone Mini or Gravity shenanigans.

-GRRR MORE DYING

-Again. Chill. I can do this. I will not give up. This isn’t overwhelming damage to my party as long as I don’t melee. I assume I should be able to beat the Shield Dragon now.

-Black magic is a no go no matter what. I don’t think I have a dispel-type spell to get rid of reflect.

-Summons are mostly bad. They land, but do negligible damage. Titan is the only one that does decent damage.

-Bard doesn’t have anything that helps.

-Tried using the Beastmaster’s “Calm,” but that didn’t help.

-Ok. Summoning Titan’s the only thing that does damage to this jerk. You know what that means?


I got a fever, and the only prescription is more summoners!

-Unfortunately, even with Titan being summoned triple time, they run out of mana without killing the Shield Dragon. He keeps taking their hits.



-I lose. I give up. You win, Shield Dragon. Keep your awesome and secret legendary weapons. I don’t even want them! I’ll bet they’ve rusted and blunt, and probably covered in dragon spittle or something. Hmph.

---

Overworld

-Take a breath, Coldrun. That was intensely frustrating.

-I think I’ll try to aim for a job combination goal for each class, to keep exploring the job system.

FARIS: Knight with spellblade.
BARTZ: Monk with berserker.
GALUF: Beastmaster. Because chances are they wouldn’t add a class into the game that sucks as much as this one seems to at first, so I’ll give it a chance.
LENNA: Chemist. See reasons for Beastmaster.

-I didn’t go beyond the castle before, because I didn’t see any towns on the overworld map south of it. As I check now though, there’s so much ground to cover that there must be something.

-YES! Found a chocobo forest.

---

Next time: if there is no next time, it’s because a Shield Dragon was a random encounter in the Chocobo Forest and I proceeded to throw my keyboard. If there is a next time, we’ll explore the Shield Dragon-free Chocobo Forest!