Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Nerd Fitness Academy – Fitness for Beginners: Part 3 (final)


#4: Complete the Recruit Workout

This.  Felt.  AWESOME.  In a sore and tired kind of way.

So we’ve been over the warm-up and the cool-down.  The bread slices of the fitness sandwich.  The meat is the workout itself.  The initial workout is what NFA refers to as the “recruit workout.”  Ideally, it is the following:

-10 push-ups
-15 bodyweight squats
-10 inverted rows
-20 bodyweight lunges
-15 second planking

Repeat three times (three sets in a row total).

I did the warm-up, attempted the workout, and then did the cool-down.  Sing it, cockatiel!


I did one set of these, and had to do knee push-ups since I couldn’t do any regular push-ups.  I did the inverted rows with a 12 pound weight.  After one set, my body said “enough.”  Upper body felt okay, but the groin muscles and muscles around the thighs were the kind of sore that made me concerned about muscle pulls. 

This was a start.  Finished off with a full cool-down, including my goofy-ass attempts at “downward dog.” 


#5: Choose Your Workout Path

There are three different workout paths:

-Bodyweight Brigade
-Dumbbell Division
-Barbell Battalion

To be honest, I thought dumbbells and barbells were the same thing.  I now learn that dumbbells are the lone weights you lift, while barbells are weights that (duh) go on a bar.

I want to do the Bodyweight Brigade path.  NFA suggests this for newbies anyway, so all good!




#6: Schedule Workout Reminders

Eventually, three days per week is my goal, but won’t worry about that at the moment.  I want to build good habits, starting small, and so will actually start with two days per week.  Wednesday and Saturday will be my workout days.

I don’t have a wall calendar at the moment. Instead, I’m trying out my iphone’s calendar.  Hopefully it’ll give me a little “DING” reminder or something like that.  I set out reminders for the next four weeks.

My plan is actually to keep building up in the Recruit Workout for this next month.  After that eighth workout, I’ll re-evaluate where I’m at, and whether I’ll start on the Bodyweight Brigade, Level One.