Friday, September 26, 2014

FFV – Part 31: Rock and Roll

Summary: The mountain of Drakenvale. I learn how strong this party is against the undead. We gain a new ally in a pun-slinging Golem, and we fight a giant plant monster that sadly does not sing. I learn a thing that should probably have been obvious about making Blue Mage work. I become unreasonably excited about the possibilities.

Drakenvale

-First enemy on the mountain: Lycaron. A kitty. Not a panther, not a tiger, but a housecat. What is it with this game making me kill kitties? :(

-Hm. A stone golem named “???” shows up, punches Faris, and runs away. As well you should! She’ll kick your ass.

-Zombie Dragon! A reskin of Shield Dragon, but not quite so… invincible.

-WOW!! Lenna, currently a bard, sings “Requiem” does massive damage (over 1k), and Faris the mystic knight uses “Fira” on her weapon to absolutely DEMOLISH it for well over 3k damage. Bring on more undead! Haha!

-A new enemy imp-type named “Drippy.” Ew.


The fallen of Drakenvale.

-Lenna mastered bard. Yay! What does this do? Better song effects, or just the ability to learn all the songs but no stat bonuses from earlier levels to already known songs??

-Just noticed that Nightengale cures poison, increasing my already great love for this wonderful !Animal summon.

-huh

-wtf is going on

-Ok. I got into a fight with the same monster as from before, but named “Golem” this time instead of “???.” On her side are two undead, a Bone Dragon and Zombie Dragon. The Golem pleads for our aid. And then THE BONE AND ZOMBIE DRAGONS TURN TO ATTACK THE GOLEM.



-WTF WTF WTF

-We kill the two dragons, and wait. No way in hell am I killing this golem. I want to see what her deal is.



BLESS YOUR PUNNING AWESOMENESS, MADAM. PLEASE BE MY FRIEND.

-YESSSS!!! SHE JOINED ME AS A SUMMON

-The more witty golems, the better. That’s my motto. (Gotta get myself back to Dragon Age: Origins one of these days.)

-Used the Golem as a summon. She cast “Earthen Wall” on my party. I guess this increases my defense, but not sure how to check.

-Found dragon grass.

-OH LOL MAYBE NOT. It sprouted high from the ground and started attacking me. Bartz: “What the crap was that?” It’s clearly Devil’s Snare! Didn’t you pay attention in herbology? QUICK! Cast fire!


”Yes, of course – but there’s no wood!” “Are you a witch or not, Faris??”

-Actually, it’s called “Dragon Pod.” It summoned a few “Dragon Flower” minions.



I tried clearing them, but it kept resummoning, so I went straight for the Dragon Pod itself. !Animal and !Gaia were enough incidental AoE damage to keep the little guys clear, and the big Pod went down.

-That win got Bartz “Two-Handed” from Knight. I may try switching him to Dragoon now.

-wait

-oh god

-i thought of a thing

-I know how to make Blue Mage work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


The feeling you get when something clicks.

Beastmaster’s “Control”!!

-Gotta test. I grinded up Bartz as a Blue Mage so that Galuf can use Beastmaster to control and Bartz can use the Learning passive. It works like a charm. A lot of the enemy spells didn’t stick, but I used !Control on Drippy, had him cast Magic Hammer on Bartz with Learning, and it worked.

-Superhero Galuf the Blue Mage is ONLINE!

-Plus, while I’ve never played Pokemon, I’m a huge collector. Like, in WoW, Pet Battles are one of my favorite things. I gotta catch em all, and Blue Magic with a Beastermaster’s !Control definitely feeds into that.

-Off the mountain and away we go.

---

Next time: Time to head back to Bal to feed our wind drake some dragon grass.