Saturday, September 20, 2014

FFV – Part 26: The Pirate Dances

Summary: The party rests up and explores the town of Regole. We then move south to experience brutal and bloody death in the Sealed Castle of Kuza. The one upside? It wasn’t at the hands of a Trap Door.

Regole

-Lots of new magic to buy! Hard to tell when spells are black magic or spellblade, though… New spells: blink, shell, bio, drain, comet, slowga (group slow), and Return.

Return is the strange one of the bunch. My impression of it is that when it’s cast, the fight resets. Like, if I started a fight full health, and three party members died, and then I cast Return, they get brought back to life (and the monster gets brought back to full health too). Am I misreading that?

(This is one of the few times when that’s not a rhetorical question, so I’m cool getting spoiled on that spell’s mechanics.)

-The “Kornago Guard” will help me catch monsters. A beastmaster shield maybe?

-The pub has an empty stage. We go up, and get the option to dance on it. Of course we do.


Faris’ sweet dance moves.

Our dancing skill is great indeed. Someone tipped us 100 gil!

-Regolians are proud of their beer. Like, very proud.

-Oh boy. The “sealed castle” to the south, Kuza, has legendary weapons locked inside. *drools*

-Free stay at the inn.

---

Night in Regole

-Galuf gets up out of bed. Where’s he going? Bartz wakes and follows him out.

-He’s nowhere in sight… Uh oh.

-…the pub?

-OH LOL I was worried this would be a super angsty moment about some dark moment from his past (or more reasonably worry for Krile), but no.



He just wanted to sample the beer everyone’s taling about.

-The two sit down to drink together. Bartz again expresses remorse for screwing up the attack on Castle Exdeath, but Galuf brushes it off. After all, that expanding barrier would’ve probably killed the whole attacking army if Bartz, Lenna, and Faris hadn’t inadvertently stalled things.

GALUF: Why’d you come here with no way back home?
BARTZ: No particular reason…

Yeah. Sure. I’m thinking there’s a particular reason, even beyond just wanting to help their friend. My monmey’s on some heart-crushing family thing.

-Mechanical note: I don’t know which came first since these are both reworks, but I’m glad this story technique of using rest times for dialogue carried over from FFIV: The After Years to FFV.

---

Day in Regole

-A kid in town says he saw a moogle. IIRC, those were the mail carriers from FFIII, the weird-ass teddy bears. I also remember seeing them in any FF-related articles that I happened to come across over the years, so I imagine they’re iconic eventually.

-LOLOLOL



Another kid totally disbelieves the first kid.

-The sheep in town is named “Flossie.” I don’t know why this amuses me so much, but it does.

---

Overworld

-There’s a lot of stuff I want to do with leveling characters up, but not sure I want to grind at the moment. I’d love to get Bartz “Two Handed” from Knight to turn him into a real back-row jumping terror. I want to get Faris’s Mystic Knight high enough that she can use “Spellblade” as some other melee class, like Ninja. I want to see what Lenna’s Chemist can do, and Galuf as… something else.

But I also want to press on. On we go!

-Only one way to go: south. I see the Sealed Castle, Kuza.

-OW HOLY LORD. In the desert, ran into a Kuza Beast. We beat him because we put out massive damage with Gravity and Jump, but he did over 1k damage and 4k damage respectively, one-shotting Galuf and Faris.


The beginning of the fight. You can tell because of how not dead I am.

---

Kuza, the Sealed City

-Open castle area. No people. Also no seals yet, but maybe those come later.

-Aaaaaand dead.



A “Shield Dragon” destroyed me. It liberally used “Knock Silly,” a heavy damage ability that also confused the target, assuming the target didn’t die.

-This guy and the Kuza Beast make me wonder about whether this is the right place for me. On the other hand, when I went into the Kuza, I wasn’t in serious mode. I was in “level up new jobs” mode, so wasn’t in my strongest set-up. Going to try rethinking my job set-up, and then will dive back in.

---

Next time: Kuza, the Sealed Castle.