Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Nerd Fitness Academy - Daily Food and Quest Log, 9/3/14


This whole process has sort of snuck up on me.  Each step seemed small, and I allowed myself to lose track and get lost.  To counteract this, I’m going to use a method tried and true for many gamers, especially RPG gamers, especially MMORPG gamers: the quest log.



There’s something that feels so clean and satisfying about seeing quests.  Most games feature massive goals.  Save the crystals.  Defeat the Emperor.  Whatever.  But you don’t start with that.  You ramp up to it.  And even when you start with it (like the Light Warriors in FFI), you break it into its component parts and tackle the quest piecemeal.  A quest log can help organize the piecemeal, cut through the mishigas.



I’m not exactly sure how this will work for my goals within Nerd Fitness Academy.  I’ll use trial-and-error, and when something isn’t helping me, I’ll try something else.  A few kinds of quests jump out at me from what the Academy has presented me with so far:

-Evolutionary Stages: These are the first five goals I created.  Things like “become a water drinker” or “become a push-up-doer.”  I think of them in terms of evolution because the scope of the quests themselves evolve from month to month, and because they’re intended for me to evolve personally over the long-term in particular ways.

-Habit Builders, Habit Breakers: I picked three ways to build and break habits.  These are things I want to regularly maintain, but don’t want to check them off every day.  These will be weekly goals to knock out early in the week.  Completing them will make sure I’m in a position to succeed with my evolving quests.

-One-Shot Deals: NFA is rife with quests that are one-and-done.  For instance, “Bike x miles,” or “In a five day span, do x, y, and z.”  These can be milestone or just cool things I want to do.

Just a start.
----

Daily Food Log, 9/3/14:

9:00am: ½ bottle of orange juice.  Bag of Combos.

11:45am: Lean Cuisine “Enchiladas Suizas” (microwave) and a Cherry Coke Zero.

5:00pm: Hot dog with ketchup, Hershey’s Cookies ‘n’ Cream bar. 

6:00pm: Wheat Thins with block cheddar.  Half box, half block.

----

Quest Log:

Evolving Goals


“Becoming a Water Drinker: Phase One, Week One (9/4/14 – 9/10/14)” – I will be someone who usually drinks water.  Over the next month (9/4/14 – 10/1/14), I will keep a bottle or cup of water near me once per day, four days each week.          [   ] - [   ] - [   ] - [   ]

“Becoming a Cyclist: Phase One, Week One (9/4/14 – 9/10/14)” – I will be someone who bikes regularly.  Over the next month (9/4/14 – 10/1/14), I will bike at least ten minutes each day, two days each week.          [   ] - [   ]

“Becoming a Cooker: Phase One, Week One (9/4/14 – 9/10/14)” – I will be someone who eats in regularly.  Over the next month (9/4/14 – 10/1/14), I will cook dinner or lunch at home two days each week.         [   ] – [   ]

“Becoming a Pusher: Phase One, Week One (9/4/14 – 9/10/14)” – I will be someone who does push-ups regularly.  Over the next month (9/4/14 – 10/1/14), I will do two sets of push-ups on two days each week.          [   ] – [   ]

“Becoming a Fruit-Eater: Phase One, Week One (9/4/14 – 9/10/14)” – I will be someone who snacks on fruit regularly.  Over the next month (9/4/14 – 10/1/14), I will eat a fruit once per day, two days each week.          [   ] - [   ]

---

Batcave (9/4/14 – 9/10/14)

Positive – building habits

“A Place to Move” – Keep the middle of my living room swept and free of debris for easier push-ups.

“Fruit Ready” – Keep a fruit bowl in the refrigerator stocked with ready-to-eat fruit.

“Pumped Up” – Pump my bike up and keep it in my closet facing the door, ready to go for rides.

-

Negative – breaking habits

“Short is Good” – Get cash ready for the week, divided into small amounts to take with me on a given day to avoid relying on a debit card for mindless binging.

“Water, Water Everywhere” – Make the amount of bottled water in the fridge significantly higher than the amount of soda in the fridge.

“It’s Looking At Me” – Place my bike helmet and rolled-up exercise mat on my desk chair so that if I sit down to game, I’ll have to actively move those things away. 

---

General Nutrition

“The Nerd Fitness Diet: Level One, Week One (9/1/14 – 9/10/14)” – For two weeks (9/4/14 – 9/17/14), track my food intake in a daily log.         [   ] - [   ] - [   ] - [   ] - [   ] - [   ] - [   ]

“That’s What I Call High-Quality H2O” – Drink three liters of water per day for five days in a seven day stretch.          [   ] - [   ] - [   ] - [   ] - [   ]

“Sugar, Sugar: Level One” – Defeat five sugar cravings with substitutes.          [   ] - [   ] - [   ] - [   ] - [   ]

“Bzzzzzz: Level One, Week One (9/4/14 – 9/10/14)” – For four weeks (9/4/14 – 10/1/14), only consume caffeine from tea two days per week.          [   ] - [   ]


I’d already made progress on some of these quests, but hadn’t tracked it well, so whatever.  At least I have a running start.